My Covid-19 and later projects

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Project 22
Leather Water Bottle
Cut from scraps of3.5mm Veg tanned leather, saddle sewn with linen thread, wet moulded with sand then hardened and waterproofed with pure bees wax. Cord twisted up from some natural fiber from my stores ... not sure what fiber! Stopper from Hazel with leather Turks Head oiled with Flaxseed oil. Just over 1 pint capacity
.P5300003.JPGP5300004.JPG

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Project 22
Leather Water Bottle
Cut from scraps of3.5mm Veg tanned leather, saddle sewn with linen thread, wet moulded with sand then hardened and waterproofed with pure bees wax. Cord twisted up from some natural fiber from my stores ... not sure what fiber! Stopper from Hazel with leather Turks Head oiled with Flaxseed oil. Just over 1 pint capacity
.View attachment 59285View attachment 59286
Nice!
Do you coat the inside with beeswax too? How long does it last before you have to reproof it?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Project 23
Thumbles
Not quite thimbles, not quite sewing palms, not quite thumbstocks - but offering thumb protection when carving or sewing....
Ambidexterous, wet formed, 3.5mm Veg Tanned leather, sewn with artificial sinew, dyed with Eco-Flo dye and treated with home made dubbin.
I am getting really desperate for projects.... no point making stock to sell - will I be making stuff that will not sell using materials that I could have used to replace stuff that is selling well ... if I ever get my stall in operation again? I can't afford to use good materials just to make stuff just to make stuff which may never be used. I do not actually need anything major myself and stuff I would like I do not have all the bits for and with an income based on furlough at 1 day a week I cannot afford to buy luxuries.
So - if I cannot make something from stuff I have in the "Off-cuts and might come in useful" pile - then it ain't getting made!
I like making stuff - but I also like reading and walking - so more of those are getting done at the moment!
P6070002.JPGP6070003.JPGP6070004.JPGP6070005.JPGP6070009.JPGP6070010.JPGP6070011.JPG

mic201m

Oct 28, 2004
Hertfordshire
106118678_2651553775121364_1119493332055434040_o.jpg

another little doodle for you to see

Reactions: Brizzlebush

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
And so endeth the lockdown projects - I go back to work today!
OK - it is only learning the new procedures ahead of letting the plague ridden hordes of tourists back onto the Iron Age site, pus a bit of maintenance but it is a start. No word as to when the campsite will reopen for my doing the Bushcraft sessions and no chance of getting my craftwork sales up and running yet...
But after I ran out of materials for my projects I turned to fitness training (mainly adding extra walks and cycle rides to my usual daily program) and from only being able to walk one mile, with the aid of a stick, when my knees were at their worst a couple of years back, I have recently managed NINE miles over the course of a day ... on pretty flat terrain, mainly surfaced lanes and tracks - and I have lost a couple more kilos in weight while still putting on a bit of muscle as well!
So - C-19 has not been all bad for me so far!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
OK - work is tailing off after the holiday period and the effects of Covid are still with us... no schools yet booked for visits to the Iron Age Village... so back to covid projects!
Project 24
A tool roll. I bought a cheap set of carving tools - very cheap, second hand... almost given away... so I made them a tool roll...
Upholstery leather bought at the 2019 Moot sewn on a domestic machine.
P9090003.JPGP9090004.JPG

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
You sir are an inspiration to us all. Very well done and thanks for sharing all of these wonderful projects. My highlight of the bunch was your Ash whisky cup, I think I'm going to have to try and make one for myself.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Interesting I have never tried that, does your parboiling solution include something else besides water?

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
reduce the amount of tannin in the nuts...
This is the reason I asked as tannins are acidic some people use basic chemicals to neutralise them. I am not quite certain it works like that in this case, it would be better to leach them out. Tannins do not have a great taste.

packalot

Feb 18, 2020
Alba
hello John, i'm interested in getting into some DIY work somewhat similar to what you've been posting here in this thread and i wonder if you have ever posted info on your sewing equipment. i'm specifically interested in what sewing machine you use and what your thoughts on it might be.

i used to do some basic leather work on an old treadle Singer. you had to help it along fairly frequently but i quite enjoyed it. i do wish i still had access to it but sadly it passed out of the family long ago.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
These days my "go to" sewing machine is just one from Aldi, though I also have a Husquavena "Rose" model (that is pretty worn out) a Toyota Super Jeans for heavier work and a hand cranked Singer which is mainly used in power cuts :)
All the most recent stuff was done on the Aldi...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE