My Covid-19 and later projects

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I thought I would keep a record of my Covid-19 projects as I complete them

Project 1 - for work at Castell Henllys Iron Age fort... "homework" but Bushcrafty... "Make a net from natural fibres"

Due to the lack of opportunity to gather any more natural materials (lockdown limits my access!) I used tarred Brazilian Sisal balertwine, the same stuff I use to spin up ropes.
The floats are wood from our firewood pile and the sinkers are lead flashing. The net is about 4 meters long and over 2 meters deep and took somewhere between 800 and 1000 knots.
I used netting needles I made years ago. My first net of any size!

6.JPG3.JPG11.JPG16.JPG14.JPG
Project 2 - personal project
I like sewing and before lockdown I scored some very cheap but good quality 100% cotton herringbone twill Flecktarn fabric - it had been urtains for the Surplus stall on our indoor market but was clean and in excellent condition :)
Using thread, zips, velco and fittings I had in my "bits box" I produced this jacket that has belt loops so that it can be worn with or without a belt.
This took about half the fabric I had - total cost about £10.00
P4030002.JPGP4030003.JPGP4030005.JPGP4030006.JPGP4030007.JPG

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
That Jacket is really good John, one would think you had some professional experience ;)

Just a quick query about it, is that a skull for the zip pull?

As for the netting I take it, having completed it and gained such insight in how to do the knots etc., you're going to volunteer yourself to to take over from Ogri and teach it to others at the moot :D

Reactions: Ogri the trog

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Aye, well - I did study Fashion Design at College and got a Btec OND.. and designed for Craghoppers, Snowdon Clothing and others for a while as well as having my own label range for a while .... others do not have these advantages... unless they buy copies of my DIY clothing booklets :)

My latest project
Project 3 - Learn stories from the Mabinogion to allow me to do "Story Telling" at work....
I bought a translation of "The Mabinogion" by S Davies - a freaking nightmare to read with academic footnotes on academic footnotes burying the stories (which are in themselves a knightmare of contradictory detail and utter ballcocks) and then found I had areadable version of some of the more reasonable tales in a book by a Mr Delaney on the shelf! The stories are still far from anything I would want to read or have recited to me! I would much prefer Chaucer's tales or a good Saga!
I now feel that I can relate at least one of the tales.... which will have to be enough!
P4030001.JPG

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Actually that is not a bad idea as that is the audience I will be addressing - telling stories of rape, murder, lies, mayhem and weird dreams... involving mushrooms!
I need some way of making these tales child applicable!

Reactions: Broch

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I designed it but had it made up for me by the woolen mill that wove the wool flannel that it is made from...
The colour is actually dark green - but there was a golden evening light so it looks more brown. The T-shirt is a Highlander cotton one :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Project 5
Aluminium casting from old cans.
Another project for "Homework" from Castell Henllys...
Basically I collected a bunch of old alu cans (mainly from our last Meet in the woods...) crushed them, burned of the paint (and thoroughly dried them!) then shoved them into a retort in my firebowl and cooked em on charcoal. My mini bellows were not up to the job and I resorted to using an electric airbed pump (used previously when I did some steel forging) and that worked fine. The retort had no lid so I cooked a bit of slate from the garden and used that1 Source material.JPG3 tools and materials.JPG4 burning the paint off.JPG5 In the retort.JPG7 melting more.JPG9 Airbed pump bellows.JPG11 casting.JPG14 cast.JPG15 slag!.JPG17 casts.JPG
Two things surprised me - how little aluminium I got for the number of cans and the time and effort involved and also how much slag was left!
Now I need to work out how to make a fancy mould, source some more charcoal and try making something practical!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Project 6
Drop open pouch
This started (initially) as an idea for a leather belt pouch but I thought I would make a mock up first... but I had so many issues with it that it is going no further!
Made out of stuff I had kicking about - cost £0.00 but a whole day in time.
Each pocket is 8"x6"x1".
Modeled by my wife.
P4080001 (1).JPGP4080002.JPGP4080003.JPGP4080004.JPGP4080005.JPG

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE