My buzzard

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
My wife used to visit a farm in the course of her job, where they had an old border collie tied up tight in a barn. it never got out, had all kinds of skin conditions and was generally badly treated. The RSPCA got involved, refused to allow it to be rehomed with someone who was used to having border collies, and said they'd keep an eye on the situation.
Despite repeated reports, it was later (weeks later) found choked to death by it's short chain, and in a very bad condition. The police dog handlers who attended when it was reported dead couldn't believe the state it was in, and all because the RSPCA know best.
They'll never get another penny from me.

mickeyluv

Tenderfoot
Nov 2, 2010
derbyshire
I found a merlin with a broken wing once, rang raptor rescue who came and picked it up and later let me know that the wing was too badly damaged for it to be released but they were applying for a permit to keep it for breeding with. As far as I know all the people who work for them do so for no financial reward.
16-08-08_1217.jpg

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I found a merlin with a broken wing once, rang raptor rescue who came and picked it up and later let me know that the wing was too badly damaged for it to be released but they were applying for a permit to keep it for breeding with. As far as I know all the people who work for them do so for no financial reward.
16-08-08_1217.jpg

Beautiful creature. Never seen one in the wild.

slingback

Jan 10, 2013
Highlands
Very sad indeed, Maybe try these chaps next time,

www.hawk-conservancy.org

Take 4. I was hiking near Fordingbridge in Hampshire a few months ago and I came across a buzzard caught on barbed wire.
After half an hour shin deep in bog, I managed to release her but she seemed exhausted & had quite a nasty wound on her wing.
So she came home with me wrapped up in my smock and had a day in the dog's cage. I couldn't believe how friendly she was letting me hold her & stroke her beak. My plan was to feed her chicken for a week, let the wound heal, take her back and release her back into the wild...
But, my wife insisted I call the RSPCA. :bluThinki Who promptly came, took her away, and had her put down within a couple of hours.
No bones broken, no major feathers missing, just a small open wound. I smelled a rat when they spoke about releasing her back into the wild but never asked me where abouts I found her. :bluThinki

8531037573_0ee1529dc9.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

8531033331_593b1e42d4.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
It's funny isn't it, we tend to have a natural aversion to, or dislike of the scavengers of this world. Whatever form they come in.
:)
they're up there with pigeons, rats, mice and......humans.

Am I the only one totally averse to the sight of birds' feet? Chickens are like little velociraptors!!! Yuk. Haha.

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
I hope there's a next time... The RSPCA officer said she appreciated my "sentimentality" when I said I didn't want the buzzard to be put down! Sentimentality! Pffft. If it was a pigeon it would have gone straight in the frying pan... Sentimental is probably the last thing I am with animals - but birds of prey are amazing and I love seeing them, especially in Britain where other birds of prey are so rare. Wish I'd got some advice on here last October! Thanks for all the replies ;)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep Hawl comservancy along the A303 there would likely have saved it -even if not released it. They though are a real animal welfare charity - unlike the RSPCA

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
Glad I'm not the only one that thinks poorly of the RSPCA

We had a Tawny owl in the apple tree one morning. Thought wow an owl, in the garden how great. It was still there in the afternoon but getting mobbed by all the garden birds! By the evening we were worried for the poor thing, so called the idiots.

Received excellent advice from them. I quote "we can't do anything (we can't be bothered) if it's dead in the morning, put it in a black bag and put it in the bin".

We couldn't have that, so armed with a cat basket and welding gauntlets we climb the ladder to retrieve (pry the owl off the branch) the poor thing and took him up the vets. Not sure what happened next, but the didn't call as promised so we called them. turns out it didn't make it:(

And just to show how useless the RSPCA are, we had a swan on the river. Its not a big river and not really big enough for a swan, but he liked it and made it home.

Unfortunately he had managed to get a cut on his neck (broken glass in the river) but it had healed, easy to see the blood was dry and old. But someone had called the RSPCA out and 2 warden were frantically trying to catch him with the noose on a stick running up and down the bank.

This went on for about 3 hours!! I'm not trained in animal welfare like these so called professionals, but I'm pretty sure chasing an injured animal until it stops due to exhaustion would be classed as cruel??

Finally after the poor bird was resting and not able to run / fly anymore the idiots donned their waders and entered the water. At most the river is a foot deep, but it seem the spot they chose to enter was apparently a little deeper. As I witnessed the first to enter go completely under:lmao:.

Unfortunately the swan was captured and reported in the local paper to have died from it's wounds! More likely the 3 hour fight it made to survive

Ooops, seem to have gone on a little rant

Sorry..................

Last edited:

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
RSPCA, complete shower!

Every time they ring up asking to speak to swmbi begging her to donate more pennies to them, I relish the opportunity to "educate" the plummy sounding dimbos they seem to have taken to recruiting these days.

T'other arf won't listen to the evidence of what a pack of ######## they really are.

Bluezephyr

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2013
Stratton
There's a bird sanctuary up the road from here called 'A wing and a prayer'. In Stratton Strawless, just incase anyone local finds an injured bird.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
RSPCA I wouldn’t give them a penny, they shouldn’t be Investing money in banks, they should be spending every available penny on animal welfare.
I have a near identical story to Will’s Buzzard a friend of mine found a pigeon sitting in her shop doorway, I was in the shop later that day and it certainly didn’t look to good it probably flew in to a window , All my friend could do was give it some bread and a bowl of water and call the RSPCA , She left it in the shop overnight and the next day it was looking much better moving around, generally much better but obviously recovering, the dude from the RSPCA turned up, picked up the bird felt its chest and said it was starving “ which I thought was S##t” He then told the lass he would take it away and put it down and basically walked off. The girl in the shop felt terrible and wished she had never phoned the rspca in the first place. No wonder the RSPCA got branded the BLUE SELUTION meaning Pentobarbital it’s cheaper to put an animal down than to care for them.
Next time you see RSPCA collection box just think ( money invested in bank ) fare enough it may help animals and pets 5 years down the road but animals are suffering now.
One of my pals with hardly any cash, Long story short, Dog cut, PDSA treated it for free, Great charity now I give all my old books and stuff to the PDSA.

Check out all these news reports for yourselves .
RSPCA will reject unwanted pets to cut costs - Telegraph
RSPCA challenges decision to overturn will - The Guardian
RSPCA phone text scam.
Time for a review of RSPCA Animal Charity's Bullyboy Tactics ?
The RSPCA: Can it destroy and protect animals at the same time ...

I certainly don’t have much money but I defiantly don’t have any for some RSPCA financial consultant to invest in a business model F###that.
I only hope the SSPCA aren’t tarred with the same brush.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE