My Bushcraft Knife!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hello everybody. :wave: Today the materials I had ordered to make a bushcraft knife, arrived. Looking at the blade I can see that it has a very good finish and it is made by Robert Mattson in Sweden. The spine is tapered and is around 4 mm at it's thickest. It's a droppoint, scandi grind, laminated steel. I just tried it on some dry wood, and it's like the blade can't wait to bite into the wood and tear it apart. :eek:): In other words, it's a great carver.
The spine is absolutely square, which will make a great firesteel sparker, though I will use a hacksaw blade for that. :wink:

Took me a good 3-4 hours making it, broke 2 drills and struggling to get them out again :roll:
It's not a fancy handle (the blade is!), just a piece of beech with no grooves for fingers or anything. I wanted to make a simple knife, and am still a rookie so nothing fancy yet. :wink: :D Just need the sheath now.

Will make a review when I get back from Norway in week 4. :biggthump Take care.

dsc002817ll.jpg

dsc002821dm.jpg

(Excuse the bad images :shock: )

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I forgot to say you are all welcome to come with some constructive critisism (sp?). That's the only way I will learn to do even better. :D

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Quality design Andy.the simplicity of the design suits the blade.A masterclass in form and function.I noticed it thins slightly in the middle which would prevent slippage.I cant find any fault with it!

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
That's really nice :biggthump I like the simple handle, looks to be about all the knife a fellow needs but that won't stop you making more :naughty:

faca

Forager
Dec 10, 2003
SPAIN
Hi Viking you´ll realise that this simple shape handle is going to be one of the most confortable one you are going to use :) ever
YOu feel so good after made your own knife isn´t it. :naughty:
Enjoy

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I actually REALLY like that knife, it's nice to see knives that people haven't gone over the top with, made finger grooves everywhere, added 7 or 8 lanyard holes, big lumps of metal sticking out of the edge.

Things I like:

The blade shape (How long is the blade?) Looks like a nice, no frills functional blade.
The handle shape (Again, size information would be nice), It's very subtle in its curve and that makes it look good, looks comfy too.

Thing I'm not to keen on (Don't think I don't like this point):

The wood on the handle is nice but I personally think it would be nice to see a little more life in the grain. Has it been oiled?

Over all though, I think it's brilliant and if you feel like getting some dimensions together and maybe some information on where you got the blade and materials I think I'd like to have a go duplicating it.

Joe

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Thank you everybody for the nice comments! :D :biggthump

Squidders - i completely forgot to write that. Whoops. The blade is 96 mm, which is ideal size for me. I didn't give it oil cause time was running late, but I will do today. :)

You are all correct, simplicity was my primary goal to achieve with this knife, to make it comfortable to hold on in every position (push knife, draw knife etc.)

:wave:

This picture will save me uploading 2 photos. :wink:
dsc002878vg.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I recall seeing a knife with a handle very similar to that over at Ragweed Forge. Just looked but couldn't find it. IIRC, it was made by either Helle or Brusletto (or not :wink: ). Anywho, it was supposed to be a very traditional Viking design. Nice work Viking. :lol: The knife handle fits your handle. :)

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Hoodoo said:
I recall seeing a knife with a handle very similar to that over at Ragweed Forge. Just looked but couldn't find it. IIRC, it was made by either Helle or Brusletto (or not :wink: ). Anywho, it was supposed to be a very traditional Viking design. Nice work Viking. :lol: The knife handle fits your handle. :)
I remember that one, it was made by Helle but they stopped making it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE