my big mouth again......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
i was talking to a mate of mine who was trimming a yew tree. we got talking about yew long bows (see where this is going!?) i said id love to have a go at making one but i aint got a clue. That evening he tipped at my house with a 9ft yew branch. its green, about five inches thick. So now I have a yew branch, what the hell do i do with it???😧

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Not a lot with that peice of wood, you need straight grained which due to our weather doesn't normally grow, that's why in tudor times merchants had to bring yew staves to England, mainly from Italy to make war bows as part of import duty!

Dry the wood and use it for a knife handle, incorporating the colours of the wood, which makes it quite effective. You could buy a stave to have a go but expensive, personally get a peice of hickory and make one with this wood, as it's very forgiving to a novice and get a bit of practice in first.

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
A branch could be straight grained enough to make a decent bow. Isn't it the trunk that tends to twist? There used to be a little book on making bows from branches possibly by Richard Head or another longbow maker.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I'd PM Bardster of this forum. He showed me how to tiller a bow and others how to make them after they chose the wood from a hedgerow, etc. He de man ;)
(Sorry Bardster....looks like I just filled your inbox :()

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
I'd PM Bardster of this forum. He showed me how to tiller a bow and others how to make them after they chose the wood from a hedgerow, etc. He de man ;)
(Sorry Bardster....looks like I just filled your inbox :()

thank you! i have sealed the ends with boiled linseed oil and left it in the garage......

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
You can make a reasonable bow out of a yew branch, but I wouldnt recommend it without a reasonable level of experience as working round knots etc is a difficult skill to master. Also the usual rule of thumb for drying wood would one year minimum for each inch of thickness while in a log form. I presume your branch is thicker than that? You can move things along by choosing the best side and reducing the branch down to a roughed out stave, and then leaving it to dry some more, aiming for around 10% moisture content. When you start to work it, the heartwood should be crisp under an edged tool.

I would strongly recommend joining the Primitive Archer web forum, and perhaps the Paleoplanet web forum for primitive archery. You will find a lot of good advice, suggestions and support there.

Last edited:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Talk to Wayne on here as well, he's very knowledgable about making bows and very helpful...

Good luck with it, i've had the same thing happen to me as well before :D

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
If its knotty, bent, twisted then the bow will have character. But if you never done like 20 bows before so give it a try, at least you get firewood and perhaps small blanks for knife handles :D. Bow making is an art like nothing else, I've done some bows but never a high pound one.

Chris the Fish

Forager
Dec 5, 2009
Stoney Stanton, Leics
Post a pic of the branch, it will help with those offering advice.

I've just made a couple of bushcraft bows from some recently coppiced hazel, a small prototype and a larger 5ft one.

I'd recommend doing a prototype first to allow you to get the hang of shaping, tillering etc. I made mistakes on the smaller bow that would have ruined the bigger feller.

The other thing I'd recommend is to make yourself a simple jig like this

db8df33c2fb7dc87adb5f355ced50f84.jpg

My bow making is limited to these two bows, but I've had great enjoyment making both and trying to learn the skills involved.

Good luck and keep us posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE