My best friend has gone forever.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hermitical

Forager
Feb 28, 2010
Bristol
a terrible thing to go through, my thoughts are with you

it was a year last week that we said goodbye to our boy Sam, cancer as well...

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I know what it's like, I lost my top ferret on Christmas eve, felt bad and kicked a few inanimate objects but he was old and it was his time. He's in the freezer at the moment until my friend can find some time in her schedule to do a taxi job on him.

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Thinking of you pal, my old girl is 15, a constant and fearless companion when i was working, a loving and playful pet at home.........like others have said, I know its coming but fear to even let the thought into my head.............

I often sit with her and remember the scrapes we got into at work, and when she looks up at me with those old tired eyes, my own start to fill, I get a big lump in te throat and whisper to her " Why do we have to get old baby ?"...........................a man and his dog is the most beautiful partnership.

mark

hobson

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2012
Devon
God mate, my heart goes out to you, we have three German Shepherds and our lives revolve around them, I cannot bear to think about losing them.

But I'll bet he had a fantastic life with you, and as upsetting as it is to lose them, you have to think about not only the joy he brought you, but the joy in his life that he experienced by being with you.

My sincerest condolences

rob1983

Dec 22, 2011
Cardiff
I can relate to this thread, My jack russell had cancer all over his body we didnt know until late when the test results came bk but it was too late by then I got a bottle of water and squeezed it into his mouth he was so weak and dehydrated and try to give him water that way, he ended up dying in my arms. Something I will never forget and very heartbreaking.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
My heart goes out to you at this sad time,i know how you are feeling as i went through it when i lost my beloved lurcher Oz 5 months ago,i didn't think it was possible to feel so much pain,for some reason these beautiful words helped me through,my thoughts are with you:-

"The best friend a man has in this world may turn against him and become his enemy.His son and daughter that he has reared with loving care may become ungrateful.Those who are nearest and dearest to us ,those whom we trust with our happiness and our good name may become traitors to their faith.The money that a man has,he may lose.It flies away from him when he may need it most.Man's reputation may be sacrificed in a moment of ill considered action.The people that are prone to fall upon their knees and do us honour when success is with us may be the first to throw the stone of malice when failure settles it's cloud upon our head.The only absolutely unselfish friend a man may have in this selfish world ,the one that never deserts him,the one that never proves ungrateful or treacherous is his dog.

A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and poverty,in health and sickness.He will sleep on the cold ground,when the wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely,if only he can be near his master's side.He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer,he will lick the wounds and sores that come into encounter with the roughness of the world.He guards the sleep of a pauper as if he were a Prince.When all other friends desert...............he remains.

When riches take wings and reputations fall to pieces,he is as constant in his love as the sun in it's journey through the heavens.If fortune drives his master forth an outcast into the world,friendless and homeless,the faithfull dog asks no higher privilege than that of accompanying him to guard him against danger,to fight his enemies,and when the last scene of all comes,and death takes his master in it's embrace and his body is laid away in the cold ground,no matter if all other friends pursue their way,there by his grave side will the noble dog be found,his head between his paws and his eyes sad,but open in alert watchfulness,faithful and true even to death"

Author:-George Graham Vest

Last edited:

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Sorry to hear of your loss,I lost one of my boys just before christmas very suddenly,this is when you pay for the good times.
He will wait at the bridge for you.
Very best regards Soloman

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
Sorry for your loss mate - From Treefrog and his two Border Collies.

Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft star-shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there; I did not die.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I feel for you, mate, I really do.

Been there.

Now, get down to your local rescue kennels and save another fine friend from the needle.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I really feel for you at this difficult time, my sincerest condolences.
We lost our Rottweiler in December 2010, rescued him at 2 months old and he nearly made 13 but it was a privilege to make the decision that enabled him no suffering.
We then had some folks renting a house near us have problems with their mastiff x rottie escaping and visiting us, his mannerisms, sounds and character were so rottie we realised that along with our lifestyle, situation, experience and age we were in the position to re-home another. 6 weeks later we had rescued another black and tan friend, although deeply missing Harley, it was the best thing we could have done for us, he's not a replacement but another dog that we could offer a good home to.
When and if you are up to it, as bilmo-p5 said 'get down to your local rescue kennels and save another fine friend from the needle'
All the best and I hope eventually the pain will ease to some degree.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
It isn't only dogs that get to you.

My tabby cat is fit and healthy but he's 16 so one day his time will come and I am dreading it.

Grief is the price we pay for love...

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
Sorry to hear of your loss mate.
We lost our dog in September and every day when I come home from work, I go to let him out in the garden still.
If I am cooking and I drop a bit of food, I rush to pick it up before spot gets to it, even though he isn't there any more.
Alan

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
dude im so sorry.....:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

i have been to war, shot at, punched, divorced and a million other things, my wife has seen me cry 2 times, when our girl passed away i cried like a baby, i feel your pain mate, i still well up a little thinking about it now....

just remember the good times mate, i always think of when she stole my birthday cake which took the wife 2 months to make....:)

my thoughts to you and your family....

regards.

chris.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
It's tough. My thoughts are with you. It's 3 1/2 years since Douglas went and I still miss him. The two hooligans I have now keep me busy though. You were good enough to offer condolences to me then.

Take care.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE