My best friend has gone forever.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
At about 3am last thursday I said my last goodbye to the best friend I have ever had as I sat on the floor with him at our local vets. He had had more than his fair share of health issues - hip displasia & diabetes, which required daily injections but he was always happy & loved a game!
Unfortunately the dark cloud of (suspected) cancer cast it's shadow. Rolo (my chocolate labrador) was sitting happily with me wednesday evening though as the evening wore on he disappeared & we found him looking very ill in the dining room. We took him to the vets who put him on IV anti-biotics & fluids & promised to ring with any news. At half past one on thursday morning we got the call we were dreading, they had done tests & found a large tumor in his abdomen which appeared to have burst releasing fluid into his abdomen causing severe peritonitis. I sat with him whilst Sarah went home to collect her Mum so Rolo could have all of his family around him in his last moments which were mercifully peaceful.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I am really sorry to hear of your loss Labrador... loosing a pet that you're close to is never easy and I know how you feel having been there myself.

All I'll say is hold the good times you had with him close to you.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Sorry for your loss, as i sit here my old boys(black lab, 14yrs)are growing dim, 7 i don't think he will see the summer, but i try to think of the good times.

Rob

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Realy sorry to hear mate i feel for you i lost one of mine quite recently and i found it quite hard to hold it together there such a huge part of your life and they love you whatever. Im sure he will never forgot you as you wont forget him, i stil well up now but smile when i think of our time together.
All the best ash

Rockmonkey

Settler
Jan 12, 2012
uk
Sorry to hear about Rolo, I had an Alsation that I lost 13 years ago. I now have A 20 month old Border terrier (Poppy) that I love to bits and I have not spent a single night without her, But everyday I still think about my Alsation (solo). My thoughts are with you. Hold onto the good times......

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
from your best friend............................

......grieve not,
nor speak of me with tears,
but laugh and talk of me
as if i were beside you....
i loved you so -
'twas heaven here with you.

X

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Mate, that brought a tear to my eye and I feel it somewhat relatable right now.

Anyone who loses their dog gets my sympathy, its a dark time indeed

My girl, Sally-a black Labrador of nigh on 14yrs, like you say-the best friend & companion I could have wished for, is getting more fragile by the day and I feel it will not be long and even now it breaks my heart seeing her-one of the fittest, fastest, boldest & most fearless dogs I have ever seen just hobbling by.

I saw this once and it alway stuck with me......

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

By the sounds of it you did him proud as he did you.

Another fills the void but as another, not a replacement.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
My dog is just four and my constant companion. I can only imagine your feelings. Maybe another dog soon? I have friends who say it is the best way forward.

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
I'm so sorry, my father sent me this poem by Lord Byron when my last dog passed, it seemed to articulate how I felt/feel, my voice just cracked when my misses asked what I was reading.

Near this Spot
are deposited the Remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferosity,
and all the virtues of Man without his Vices.

This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery
if inscribed over human Ashes,
is but a just tribute to the Memory of
BOATSWAIN, a DOG,
who was born in Newfoundland May 1803
and died at Newstead Nov. 18, 1808.

When some proud Son of Man returns to Earth,
Unknown by Glory, but upheld by Birth,
The sculptor’s art exhausts the pomp of woe,
And storied urns record who rests below.
When all is done, upon the Tomb is seen,
Not what he was, but what he should have been.
But the poor Dog, in life the firmest friend,
The first to welcome, foremost to defend,
Whose honest heart is still his Master’s own,
Who labours, fights, lives, breathes for him alone,
Unhonoured falls, unnoticed all his worth,
Denied in heaven the Soul he held on earth –
While man, vain insect! hopes to be forgiven,
And claims himself a sole exclusive heaven.

Oh man! thou feeble tenant of an hour,
Debased by slavery, or corrupt by power –
Who knows thee well must quit thee with disgust,
Degraded mass of animated dust!
Thy love is lust, thy friendship all a cheat,
Thy tongue hypocrisy, thy heart deceit!
By nature vile, ennobled but by name,
Each kindred brute might bid thee blush for shame.
Ye, who perchance behold this simple urn,
Pass on – it honors none you wish to mourn.
To mark a friend’s remains these stones arise;
I never knew but one – and here he lies.

Regards

Mat

Bluemerle

Nomad
Nov 6, 2010
Essex
So sorry to hear of your loss. I hope you will remember the great times you had with him,nobody can take those memories away from you. Try to smile a little when you go to places that you both enjoyed together, you will never forget him but the pain does ease.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE