Multitool grinder attachment group buy ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Good they are starting to arrive, the belts are due to arrive tomorrow for the belt group buy so it will be a hectic few days getting those away and as soon as we have that out of the way we will be sorting a motor for these.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Good they are starting to arrive, the belts are due to arrive tomorrow for the belt group buy so it will be a hectic few days getting those away and as soon as we have that out of the way we will be sorting a motor for these.
as you no mate, if you could pop me down on the list for the motor please, that would be great.

wasteoid

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
uxbridge
Hi rapid mate,

Grinder arrived today. Well chuffed with it. If a deal comes up for grinders could interested. I have something but it is far from ideal

Chris

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
The belts are here and David is getting them packed up tonight to go out tomorrow, we tested them today and they run nice and smooth.
[video=youtube;YooKHfvIC5o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YooKHfvIC5o&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/video]

That's a 60 followed by a 120 and then a 320, the belt changes are very quick and easy as you can see.
[video=youtube;ekiolBQQ8Ek]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekiolBQQ8Ek[/video]

We are waiting on a sample laser cut adaptor plate to arrive and have a motor sorted, i will get a video up asap.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
If anybody ordered belts in the group buy, i just heard from David and they all went out yesterday, there are 4 sets left if anybody wants any more.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
We are waiting on the adaptor plate sample to arrive to try the new motor but tonight we knocked up a wee extension to try running longer belts.
My radiusmaster runs 1220mm (48") belts as will the new machine I'm building so it would be nice to keep them standard.

[video=youtube;Q_y2Js66cAA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_y2Js66cAA[/video]

Needs a wee tweak and a lick of paint but it works fine :)

wasteoid

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
uxbridge
Deep joy. I just mounted my multi tool up on my old aldi grinder, and even on the under powered grinder it is fantastic!!!!!

Thanks rapid for sorting this one out. Let me know if and when a motor comes along I am well interested.

Chris

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Mine turned up yesterday, as I had the last spare one. I am off to my favorite secondhand tool shop to look for a grinder or motor to run this one. Probably wont buy today as I fancy haveing a decent motor on it & need to research it more, get my mate to do some metal work for me etc..

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Keep an eye on the BB thread, we are working on adapting them to run on a motor and hopefully will be organising a group buy for the adaptor kt and motors soon.

There is a motor conversion...in progress. There are a few things require adjustment...the second one is always the better. I have went for a vertical because this is what I am used to.

adapter%20plate%20assembled.jpg

Motor has a standard B14 flange and foot mount. 1 hp continious rated. This is a 3 phase and is getting an inverter drive.

adapter%20plate%20motor.jpg

The plate, extra holes were for trial. 6mm steel. So this will work the other way too, turned down 90 degrees.

adapter%20plate.jpg

Mounted with countersink cap heads. M6 x 12mm
It requires drilling four 6mm holes into the Bluepoint attachment.

adapter%20plate%20mounted.jpg

Simple modification to the table. Plastic shim washers because the angle iron is less than 6mm.

adapter%20plate%20table.jpg

Angle adjustment arrangement.

adapter%20plate%20links.jpg

Shaft is 19mm, a bit of sorting still required at this end.

adapter%20plate%20shaft.jpg

So David got everything together today, we gave it a wee test run tonight and it all works as it should.
As mentioned previously this is the all singing all dancing version with an inverter for speed control, we wanted to start with this one so we could see what speed would be best for the single speed version.
Only a quick and rough video to show it working, hopefully we will get a better look at it tomorrow night and a video of it in use.

[video=youtube;gFrQe6dLy6Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFrQe6dLy6Q[/video]

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
350W benchgrinder V's 1HP motor :)
[video=youtube;B_WAsDVo1Ec]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_WAsDVo1Ec&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

Running at approx 2800rpm, then turned down to approx 1400rpm and then approx 300rpm.
[video=youtube;G2oJlvkGh-Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2oJlvkGh-Y&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

A big advantage over the bench grinder is the motor is rated for continuous use.

Last edited:

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
That motor is impressive, that attachment is a great tool, pity I missed out on buying one, can't find one in the UK at all.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I have another grinder project part built so i just removed the motor from that to show the differences between B5 and B14 flange.

IMG_1205.jpg

IMG_1208.jpg

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
I had ordered a motor and inverter from the supplier just to test him out and they arrived today, very well packed and much quicker than i expected so that's all looking good, just waiting for him to come back to me about single phase motors.

IMG_1192.jpg

The inverter is the same as the one David is running for his machine.
Unlike some inverters that have a cooling fan and a LCD screen to access setup menu's (and a big instruction manual to go with it) these wee units have a simple heat sink along with a few DIP switches and pots which keeps everything fairly simple and hopefully reliable.

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
David has the grinder adapter kits ready to go.
davidspics237.jpg

This is what you get
davidspics246.jpg

we spent a couple of hours today documenting what to do with it .....

Start by removing the mounting bracket from the attachment and then remove the centre plate.
davidspics247.jpg

You need the adapter plate, mounting bracket and a couple of clamps
davidspics248.jpg

Align them as shown
davidspics249.jpg

Clamp them together making sure the 3 points indicated are flush
davidspics250.jpg

like this
davidspics251.jpg

davidspics252.jpg

now drill through the four holes as indicated
davidspics253.jpg

davidspics254.jpg

davidspics255.jpg

and you should end up with this
davidspics256.jpg

we now turn our attention to the motor, it has a B14 face
davidspics257.jpg

davidspics258.jpg

we are not using the key to drive but to keep the rotor balanced we need to use a half key so start by scribing down each side of the key
davidspics259.jpg

then remove the key and file it down to the line, also give the side a couple of strokes with the file so that it's a loose fit in the shaft
davidspics260.jpg

now we can bolt the adapter plate to the motor using the countersunk M6 machine screws
davidspics261.jpg

it's important the half key is lower than the shaft, this is still too high
davidspics262.jpg

perfect so we can slip the spacer into place
davidspics264.jpg

davidspics265.jpg

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
at this stage it's handy to clamp the motor to the bench
davidspics276.jpg

the next stage is to mount the mounting bracket to the adapter plate
davidspics277.jpg

but we have left it out here so you can see whats happening

the drive pulley assembly is fitted with a 5/8 plastic bush, we need to remove this
davidspics266.jpg

something like a socket is ideal
davidspics267.jpg

slip the 0.03mm shim into place
davidspics268.jpg

from the other side hold it in position
davidspics269.jpg

carefully slide the drive pulley assembly onto the shaft
davidspics270.jpg

just let it slip on at it's own pace, don't force it
davidspics271.jpg

davidspics272.jpg

adding some heat will help
[video=youtube;GTtlU5WDiM4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTtlU5WDiM4[/video]

once in place fasten using the washer and M6 bolt, a drop of loctite here would be good
davidspics278.jpg

next bolt the tensioner into place
davidspics279.jpg

you can see here we need to move the motor feet to move the terminal box out of the way to access the tracking adjustment
davidspics280.jpg

the motor has mountings on each side to allow this
davidspics281.jpg

next we mount the work rest to the adapter plate
davidspics284.jpg

and the angle iron to a suitable plate, in this case we used the mitre table because it was not being used
davidspics283.jpg

davidspics285.jpg

put on a belt and turn it over by hand to make sure the tracking is ok and your good to go.
davidspics286.jpg

The adapter kit GB is running now, cost is £40 delivered to uk

Last edited:

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
So nobody asked about the little hook on the front or the square lug with the two holes on the back of the adapter plate :rolleyes:
davidspics261.jpg

:lol:
IMG_1267.jpg

The little lug on the back was included in the design of the adapter plate so that we could work up an extension plate later - we had a wee play around with that idea tonight.

So changing from 3' belt to the 5' belt that David uses takes a matter of seconds
[video=youtube;g0nUQahImbk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0nUQahImbk&feature=player_profilepage[/video]

and a 4' belt that i use on my radiusmaster
[video=youtube;0OWm-xC8aRY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OWm-xC8aRY&feature=player_profilepage[/video]

It works, we just need to work up the design a bit more.

You won't do this with the attachment mounted to a bench grinder :]
[video=youtube;I_6BKDW7CNM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_6BKDW7CNM&feature=player_profilepage[/video]

I need to get mine wired up and running properly, David is already using his in anger.
IMG_1276.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

If anybody wants an adapter kit drop me a PM and i will add your name to the list over on BB, the kit is only going to be available once because we have to make a minimum order up for the laser cutting.

Last edited:

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
If anybody is looking for a motor for these i have organized a group buy, PM me for details

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE