Multiplex plywood sling shot quality UK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

kimba

Forager
May 23, 2009
England
I have started a new hobby making slingshots; I need to find a supplier for Multiplex plywood UK of course.

Also would it have a grade/trade name, like Model Multiplex plywood or something?

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I have also looked in to this recently, but have been unable to locate any. I asked my cousin (who is a carpenter) if he had ever used it, but he had never heard of it. He said that 'usually' normal plywood has the sheets placed with the grain running at 90 degrees to each other to improve strength. I will probably try to make a couple from std plywood to see how they work, whilst continuing to find a multiplex supplier. Maybe Marine grade ply would also be a good option ?? I will let you know if I find anything more out.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The best plywood comes from Marine timber supplies, although you can sometimes source excellent quality plywood from local timber merchants.

Marine timber merchants will carry board made from different types of wood too.

I've cut into expensive 'marine ply' before, only to find plenty of voids and also got fantastic quality board at rockbottom prices. Offcuts are good to look at, it gives a good indication of the quality of the board as its been cut through the middle and if you can see no voids anywhere, its a good sign.

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
Hi Guys

Quick note on plywood - marine ply is or should be made to BS1088 and each sheet should be stamped as such
However, this spec mainly deals with the plywoods resistance to fungal attack and does not indicate the mechanical properties of the ply
hence you may well find voids in some of the more dubious stuff
Gary

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
As a former catapult industry leader i speak with experience in this matter,multiplex is just the name given to plywood elsewhere in the world,what you need is birch backed ply AAAA rated,this has no voids or plugs and is the safest and strongest available,marine ply has many voids so i personally wouldnt risk it,this stuff is hard to scource and very pricey which reflects the quality at £90.00 for a 8' x 4' sheet.

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
As a former catapult industry leader i speak with experience in this matter,multiplex is just the name given to plywood elsewhere in the world,what you need is birch backed ply AAAA rated,this has no voids or plugs and is the safest and strongest available,marine ply has many voids so i personally wouldnt risk it,this stuff is hard to scource and very pricey which reflects the quality at £90.00 for a 8' x 4' sheet.

Do a danish plywood search. Even at £90.00 a sheet you will get many catapults from a sheet. Some craft/woodworker supplers sell 1/4 sheets as well. Try Yandels of Martock. www.yandles.co.uk

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
What your looking for is( multi layer void free ply ) ,any good timber merchants will get this for you
18mm or ( 3/4" in old money ) is normally has 11 layers and 25mm or (1") is 13 layers
Marine ply will not be strong enough in my opinion

Ps this stuff is not cheap

Jason

kimba

Forager
May 23, 2009
England
I was sent a sample from a guy in London, Beech multiplex Ply BB/B- rated, I made a slingshot but as tough as it is after around 20 shots it cracked and is no longer safe to shoot few more pulls and it will snap, so Still on the hunt for Birch Ply.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE