Multi fuel Stoves such as MSR Dragonfly and MSR XGK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 16, 2013
England / Australia
Thinking of buying a MSR multi fuel stove.

Can anyone tell me if these would be capable of supporting a cast iron griddle plate approximatey 32cm in diameter for BBQ food and how they would perform if constantly heating the cast iron plate for say 40 minutes.

In addition the pot supports look very flimsy. Is there any accessories out there for more robust supports ? Cant find any on internet.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Do yourself a favour - get a Primus Omnifuel or multifuel, or older Optimus Nova! Much more solid and no probems with iffy plastic pump.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Just be carefull that the hotplate isn't reflecting too much heat onto the fuel bottle or BOOM it's flying sausages.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
I have the MSR dragonfly, great stove if noise is not a concern. As Andy says some have had pump issues but not me in 5 years. Also note above risk of overheating fuel bottle. One advangtage of the MSR pump being plastic is that such overheating would more likely melt the pump causing a large fire rather than explosion. That is one reason MSR give for sticking with plastic pumps.

I have had a huge stew pan on mine prob 6 kg full with no problems they are stronger than you may think.

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
Big griddles work fine under camp stoves. This is me using one on top of an American classic, the Coleman 502:

IMG_20130615_104923.jpg

Either of the MSR stoves you mention would have plenty of power to get it up to temperature, although it does take a while. To do this for 40 minute would be no problem, the tanks would be absolutely fine. The current model of XGK has very robust feet and pan supports. I cant speak about the Dragonfly as I dont have one but I doubt it would have any problem handling the weight. The current MSR red/black pumps are very servicable, the older versions were not as good. My older model XGK stove has the new pump and I have no issues with it:

[video=youtube;bQ6jHb2-Hdc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ6jHb2-Hdc[/video]

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'd go for an optimus 96

Nice stove but too small a fuel tank for extended cooking and the stove is very narrow to support a DO, not great for balancing a big heavy pot. A 210 would be OK or a 45.

I'd go the Primus Omnifuel route too, solid stove burns gas too. Its a remote feed so the bottle won't get hot.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Primus Omnifuel will do it, mine runs for hours at full chat with big pots.
It will also run on gas which is a big plus and it simmers well.

Don't consider the Primus Omnilite Ti, the pot supports are too flimsy for anything heavy.

Any stove similar to these will give you a hot spot though with cast iron as its a bad conductor of heat.

If you want a super tough stove that you don't want to simmer stuff on and just have limited flame adjustabilty and want to use dirty fuels, the XGK fits the bill IMO.

Last edited:
I had a Dragonfly, which was a good stove as you could control the level of flame to a simmer if need be.

That being said, I've got my trangia and honey stove and I'll never look back. Having to pump up the stove every 10-15 mins, plus the horrible loud sound it made really made it no fun to use for me. It also wasn't very compact.

My 2 cents.

It was a brand new stove, I think I was more so paranoid about it going out. How often do you normally have to pump them?

I also found that if you had to pump it while the stove was on, it was difficult to keep the stove still. Anyway, few things I didn't like. I'm much happier with my honeystove and trangia.

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
Once it is running, if you find you need to pump it up again to maintain the same power level then you have an air leak. None of my many pressure stoves need any topping-up in use.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
It was a brand new stove, I think I was more so paranoid about it going out. How often do you normally have to pump them?

I also found that if you had to pump it while the stove was on, it was difficult to keep the stove still. Anyway, few things I didn't like. I'm much happier with my honeystove and trangia.

You won't harm the stove pumping as much as you like, same for pressure lanterns.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
A bit late but may be helpfull to someone. DO NOT BUY MSR XGK stove! Very well made and reliable stove. One problem, only have two positions: full rock melting blast ande off. No flame control in any way. Great for fast snow melting in the alps but useless for proper cooking...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE