Mrs told me off for this

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Last night, the Mrs I went out with a friend to go to the cinema, and before we went, we stopped off in subway. There was a lady behind the counter who was talking on the phone, and we waited for around 5 minutes before politely saying we were waiting to be served (we were the only 3 in there). She said "Don't you see I am on the phone, its rude to interrupt." At this point, my blood was boiling but I remembered a greentext story where a guy made a subway which was so wet it fell apart. I decided to do the same.

My mrs and friend went through the motions for their subways when we finally got served (15 mins after getting in there), and I decided it was time for a little payback for the rudeness.

Here was my order (bare in mind, I normally have a salad bowl)

Flatbread - so flimsy it can't hold any liquid.
Meatball Marinara, with double sauce.

At this point I asked for it to be microwaved instead of toasted, so that the flatbread steamed a little, as well as making it very floppy from the nicely heated marinara sauce.

Salad, ahh how I love salads...I ordered the wettest ingredients I could see, so this was Tomatoes, Olives, Pepper, Sweetcorn and Lettuce.

Sauces - This is where I went a bit overboard - I got the colours I figured would dye her clothes (specifically the white jeans she was wearing) the nicest colour. I got Barbecue, Southwest chipotle, Sweet onion sauce and teriyaki sauce. I topped it off with a triple helping of chili oil.

When she came to close the sandwich, it literally fell apart, and exploded which covered her nice white jeans in a lovely dye of orange, brown, yellow and red. I finished up by saying I didn't want the sandwich to be remade and would prefer a salad bowl.

Now, whilst my friend was bursting with laughter, my mrs told me off.

Just thought I'd share.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
"I am on the phone its rude to interrupt" grrrrrrr. That would have been enough for me.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
well i was rightfully annoyed, but the mrs informed me i ruined a £200 pear of shoes and a £150 pair of jeans...providing they weren't fakes.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I copied and pasted the text of this story to my youngest daughter. She's actually on her work break whilst at work right now in Subway in Galashiels town centre. She laughed and gave you a big thumbs up. She also said that staff are not allowed to wear white jeans, so it should be interesting if the brat behind the counter puts in a claim to the boss for stained clothes.

All I can say is diddums.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The appropriate response in this situation (if not in a rush) is to wait until she has finished the phone call - then just as she attempts to serve you take a call yourself. Do the "hold 1 finger up just a minute" gesture when she tries to get your attention - hold the queue up... keep going as long as your nerve will hold.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
What do they earn in that place if she can afford trews and shoes that cost that much? Good on you, I say :)

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Lord knows. I frequent that outlet quite often, and I've not seen her there before so I can only assume she is the managers other half or something. It was also late night (well after 9pm) with nobody else around.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Well done you.

She was the rude and ignorant one and needed bringing down a peg.

I'm afraid I would have told her a few home truths about courtesy and customer service and then walked out.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Rather than do that, I like to make them miserable. I went to clinton cards once, and had this rude bint of a Manager deal with me on a return (returned a large Me2U teddy, was £125 or so). I didn't pay for it, my brother did, but he couldn't return it. She tried to get me to prove it was me that made the purchase, so with every question she asked, me, I answered with a question. Never seen someone get so frustrated before. :D

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The appropriate response in this situation (if not in a rush) is to wait until she has finished the phone call - then just as she attempts to serve you take a call yourself. Do the "hold 1 finger up just a minute" gesture when she tries to get your attention - hold the queue up... keep going as long as your nerve will hold.

This would have been my choice. Only at this point I would have asked her for the owner's number. And before this (while she was still on the phone) I would have been recording.

Lord knows. I frequent that outlet quite often, and I've not seen her there before so I can only assume she is the managers other half or something. It was also late night (well after 9pm) with nobody else around.

Not the manager's number, but the franchise owner's.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
I don't know how you didn't get angry, an call her out on it but you got revenge that's all that matters.

Side note: I was on the taste test for the Honney Mustard Mayo and one of the breads (hearty Italian) when they last tweaked the recipe. I got to sit in a meeting room in Everton football club beeing fed sandwiches for 3 hours twas fun.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Good stuff sir, though like Stringmaker I would've left and never gone back. I used to hate those BT adds with Maureen Lipmann where a person always piped her at the post by phoning the shop ahead of her. My staff were always trained that if someone's taken the time to come in they always take precedence over a phone customer, a ringing phone can call back for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE