Mozzarella and other curd cheeses...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Does anyone here make their own mozzarella? I fancy making a pizza from scratch I.e. Grinding my own flour, making my own cheese etc. as was wondering which milk is best to use...

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Excellent concept. I'd change one thing at a time and pursue that for optimum taste.
We have a choice of 4 fat levels in milk: whole (3.2% butterfat), 2%, 1% and skim. I don't have the foggiest idea of the fat level in Mozzarella milk. I'd guess that whole milk would result in a richer cheese.
We can buy the cheese-making enzyme in our grocery stores as "Rennilase." I used it for 20 years in a bio lab exercise on enzyme function. Fresh and unripened but salted, I always enjoyed it. Most students were repulsed as it didn't come from the store as packs of square slices and wasn't dyed orange. I recall we used whole milk.

I'd be glad to work on the tomatoes & herbs part for the sauce ( do I have to dry my own seawater to get my own salt? :) This winter, I'll change the tomato type and source for every batch of sauce I make. While guests always find the existing sauce good, I'm bored to tears with the taste.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I won't go that far, ever. There are too many local people, trying to put food on their own tables.
BIG FOOD does not want cheese makers, bread bakers, bison ranchers and veggie growers to survive here.
Up theirs.
I think that the cheese people got run out of town. Dang but they were good.

I'll buy as much of the "cosmetically imperfect" local veggies as I can, beyond what my crude garden grows.
How about seasoned parsnip French Fries? Done in 3'30". Who's to know how deformed it was in the ground?

At the same time, I'm quite happy to make and bake whatever my family likes.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I see Water Buffalo milk, not bison, for Mozzarella. I can see the tree line for the local bison ranch from my kitchen window. Less than 10 minutes away. They have a reutation for being about as pleasant as Cape Buffalo and every bit as unpredictable. They are ever so gently curious as they manuver you for a crush against the nearest tree or fence post. I'll die in good time. Not trying to milk a bison!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE