Mountain Tent reccomendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hey,

I'm looking into buying a new 4 season mountain expedition tent, I'm looking for something under 4KG (preferable around 3kg) and upto around £350

I'm currently liking the look of the Terra Nova Ultra Quasar at around £350

tent_terra_nova_size_10.jpg

does anyone else have any other recommendations?

Cheers in advance
:You_Rock_ :240:

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
I have a Quasar made back in the days when the company was called Wild Country it has been out in some really fowl weather the sort of storms that shredded other tents a first class bomb prof tent.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
I have a Vaude Hogan that I'm very happy with. The poles are one unit, which simplifies setup. The poles go up first, then the outer bungees up to them. Stick one peg into the wind and they can be setup in rough weather by one person, without losing it to the wind.

The Vaude MarkII might be the one for what you want.

Vaude tents at Taunton Leisure

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I've had both a Quasar ( Wild Country with a natty yellow / grey flysheet) and a Vaude Hogan.

The Quasar is by far the better tent IMHO. Jim's suggestion of a TNF westwind is a good one they are good tents.

What are you going to use it for? Mainly English mountains or further afield? I'd also suggest the Macpac Minaret I've used one here a bit and they are very good. Needle Sports in Keswick has them listed.

If you're buying for the UK I'd avoid features like snow valances etc as they just add weight.

Cheers

John

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Try the Hilleberg range the Nallo is a really good tent and is light too for the space it offers.
I use a wild country ultra voyager its 10 years old and still going strong great tents so I know you wont go wrong with the quasar but it will be heavy to carry as a winter tent alone.

Even more so when you consider you will be carrying winter kit too, sleeping bag etc.

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
Hey,

I'm looking into buying a new 4 season mountain expedition tent, I'm looking for something under 4KG (preferable around 3kg) and upto around £350

I'm currently liking the look of the Terra Nova Ultra Quasar at around £350

tent_terra_nova_size_10.jpg

does anyone else have any other recommendations?

Cheers in advance
:You_Rock_ :240:

hi mat i have going a NORTH FACE MTN 24 WITH A FOOTPRINT,it is in excellent condition ,like new not a mark on ,it is four /five season tent,light big enough for exped ,large vestable,unbelievable,if you are intreasted pm me,2big ones +postage,cappi

Rod

On a new journey
I understand the the Quasar is a good tent, but what about the The North Face Westwind:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/review/reviewProduct.asp?sp=&v=1&rpn=20453

Jim

Westwind is solid enough: but needs all the pegs to make it secure. I'd seriously suggest a Macpac Minaret or Olympus, Or a Hilleberg Nallo - they don't vent as well as the Macpac (more designed for use in deep snow). The Vango Spirit TBS 250 is not to be sniffed at either. I still own a couple of the above.

In a previous life I've slept out in most of what is available on today's market. TNF are good, but heavy. TN/WC are OK, but I don't like their seem sealing (personal). Vango offer great value and are well spec.d. Macpac are the biz IMO. Solid, well made, easy to use, well thought out. Bare in mind that the NZ climate is most akin to our own (4 seasons in 1 day!)

hope this helps

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
After about 10 years of use our Quasar was finally recycled into stuff sacks.

We have been using a Terra Nova Voyager which is just a bit small for 2 people so we are buying another Quasar. When the weather is doing it's worst all night, just just stick in your earplugs and go to sleep knowing you will be there in the morning. :D

Stu

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Bare in mind that the NZ climate is most akin to our own (4 seasons in 1 day!)

I'm not sure I'd agree on that... ( but I'd agree we get 4 seasons in a day) The climate here is somewhat different to the UK.

Our UV is supposedly stronger and we have a very high moisture content in the air which makes tents pretty nasty places to be especially in summer. Here tent's generally play second fiddle to a good fly sheet...

Cheers

John

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Originally Posted by Andy2112
Matthew,

this is the tent i have, i can fit it in my rucksack as well.

http://www.lightwave.uk.com/en/tent_t1trek.php

Hmm I like the size of the Vestibule on that, is it inner or outer pitch first?

If you like that type of tent, I'd recommend the Hilleberg Nallo 2.
Not the cheapest one, but ab-so-lu-te-ly bombproof, light weight, and the quality is second to none.
I've used mine the last 12 years in all four seasons on longer hikes, paddling tours and cycling tours in Scandinavia, central Europe, Australia, New Zealand and Canada. I was always snug and dry in the tent, disregarding what Mother Nature threw in our direction.

/ Karl

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france
SO to sum up then lads we are all confirming "our" tents are the best,thats what makes us so strong we are passionate in what we belive in.
he who believes remains strong

Tripitaka

Nomad
Apr 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC.
Be careful of Terra Nova. Whilst they do make some excellent gear, I recently had cause to test their customer services and was bitterly disappointed. I have a Monsoon that has done me well for some years and has a lifetime guarantee with it. The fly had started to delaminate badly and when I sent it back, they refused to repair or replace and wanted £150+Vat for a replacement. I had to drag an unconvincing explanation out of them which boiled down to the fact that apparently I should have been proofing the fly each year with a proofing solution which "they couldn't recommend any brand". I have the original instruction sheet for the tent and it says nothing about this.

Anyhow - just a warning that may help you make a decision.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
SO to sum up then lads we are all confirming "our" tents are the best,thats what makes us so strong we are passionate in what we belive in.
he who believes remains strong

It's sort of hard to say anything knowledgeable about / recommend a piece of kit unless you've got some personal experience with it.
And I won't recommend the stuff I've had poor experiences with...

/ Karl

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE