Mountain Rescue draw prize ideas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Hi guys,

For some insane reason I'm now the Fundraising Officer for the Western Beacons Mountain Search and Rescue Team. This year we need to buy a new search and rescue control vehicle, which'll cost in the region of £50000!! One fundraising idea is to run a prize draw over the summer. We'll look to sell tickets over a few months and have the draw at an event in September. So far I've scored prizes for gorge walking, sailing lessons, rock climbing, family ticket to a Scarlets home rugby match and a few more goodies.

But we need more!

Can any of you fine people suggest more ideas? Or do you know a friend of a friend that donate something exciting to good cause?

I'm finding it difficult to chase up prizes as well as do my day job, family time, MR training/callouts and look after the day to day fundraising for the team. So any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in anticipation!

Nigel
(Bravo 430)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
An idea might be to get themed gift certificates rather than actual prizes. I say themed meaning that perhaps an outdoor sporting goods shop (only one example of a theme) might agree to sponsor you for half the price of a gift certificate (or certificates in varied amounts) redeemable at their shop. Or perhaps an inn or resort in the areas where the mountain rescue operates? You get the idea; try to get the businesses whose customers might have need of the rescue organization to sponsor you.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Last edited:

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
H&S assessments in Mountain Rescue?!

Ok, you win :)

We haven't yet decided which way we're going with the vehicle. It'll either be small and management only, or it'll be large with kit & personnel carrying capacity. I'd prefer larger vehicle with 6 or 7 seats due to the size of our area. We cover the whole of west Wales and some of our callouts are 90 minutes or more from base. Something that'll get the search manger and enough personnel to kick off the operation to the RV with some basic kit is more useful than a single use vehicle. Still, we'll have to wait and see what the executive committee decide to do. In the meantime I'll try getting some cash together ready for when they make up their minds.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
BUMP!!

Thanks for the suggestions so far (he says in the hope that there will be more!)

I've been chasing companies over the past few weeks. As of this afternoon the prizes we have;

Gorewalking day for 4 from Go 4 It activites
Family ticket for a Scarlets home match in Llanelli
Climbing taster session for 8 at Boulders in Cardiff
Sailing taster lesson
A night in Craig y nos Castle in the Beacons
Family ticket for Dan y ogof showcaves
Free laser tag in Swansea
Welsh family tartan display

and I'm waiting to hear back from a few more leads.

Any more suggestions guys?

It's all for a good cause. Just remember, we're the poor buggers who'll have to put you on a stretcher and carry you out to the ambulance if things go really t*ts up! And looking at some of you fine gents it's not something I'll look forward to! :lmao:

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Not a bad idea Shewie. The sailing lesson and gorge walking are provided by team members. And as you'd expect we do have a couple of mountain leaders/guides in the tem. I think I'll have a chat :)

havocsdad

Jun 10, 2010
dorset
How about the opportunity to be a casualty on a training exercise. Maybe have a word with your local SAR helicopter for a guided tour of the aircraft and base etc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE