Mountain Range twin hooped bivvy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 27, 2012
UK
Hi all just purchased an old mountain range twin hooped bivvy from ebay. got a little carried away and ended up paying prob way too much. not quite as much as a new one mind.

I wondered as i know they are hard to come by (not made/available), what peoples experience is of them, and how much they weigh. i'm planning a walk, was going to use wool blanket and tarp but might switch that idea out to the hooped bivvy to save on weight as im planning ton covering 20miles plus a day for 5 days.

thanks

O

Dirty

Forager
Jun 21, 2012
Cornwall
Good evening, welcome to the forum.
It's always nice to introduce yourself on the introduction forum.
No experience on that particular bivy, but a sleeping bag and roll mat or similar in/on a bivy bag are still needed. You won't have much time to gather insulation after a 20mile day.
Apologies if I have the wrong end of the stick.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Grooveski of this parish has used one for many years, it's seen better days now so he covers it with a tarp in serious wet weather. Size good with a little room for stuff boots or gear in alongside you. Weight I'm not sure, I'll have a stab at around 1.2 -1.5kg

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Mountain Range used to make good quality gear so you should have a good product.

I think the failing of the hooped bivi's were / are that they were neither a normal bivi bag or a tent so actually weren't always that useful. A normal bivi bag is great for sleeping out in good weather or in the woods under a tarp if it's wet. Hooped bivi's are usually pegged to the ground more like a tent making them less movable. Unlike a tent however you can't sit up or cook / eat / read with ease - more so if the weathers bad.

Modern lightweight tents now pretty much weigh and pack the same as some of the hooped bivis so the tent wins. I've enjoyed using hooped bivi's a few times in the mountains when the weathers good and you walk until dusk (straight to bed after food). Welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Good tip with gore tex is to stuff, not fold it as older fabric doesn't take kindly to being repeatedly folded.

I've got a similar aged phoenix bivi and it's great.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE