Mould in tomato box's compost...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Ok, maybe not quite the right place, but you lot seem to know about these things so here goes...

Have recently started growing some cherry tomato plants from seeds (plum and round) that I dried, in a trough in the kitchen window. Used commercial all pupose compost.

Now i might have slightly overwatered when I was away for the weekend, but now have a growth of white/yellow mould in the compost that is spreading rapidly. To dig it out would kill quite a few seedlings, so I don't really want to do that, and it's probably too late for that anyway. So how can I kill it without harming the tomato plants???

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A garden fungicide will work fine. There are ones specifically available for fruit and veg. Just water it in. Previous generations used flowers of sulphur.

Cheers,
Toddy

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Thanks Toddy, for some strange reason I didn't think of a garden centre, bu then I suppose they have some concoction for everything.. I'll get something tomorrow.

Yes, the 2 kitchen windows are huge and south facing, so they get warm sunlight for most of the day and being cherry toms they have less to actually grow ;) so I hope they might make it. Was a bit of an impulse thing, but we'll see... In the summer (remember that??) it was seriously like an oven in there and I had to have the door closed to stop it from heating the rest of the flat. Even in the winter it is warm in the kitchen. Also got 8 banana trees thriving in there.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'd love a room like that in Winter; all the light and warmth. Sounds like you've got your own jungle well in hand :D

atb,
Toddy

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I've been having better luck with my compost - found four lovely potatoes that had grown in the 'heap a couple of days ago. Makes me wonder why I bother chitting and building, digging, and weeding the beds.

Good luck with the tomatoes. Apparently they are a bit tricky - my grandfather grows some and makes it look easy, but then he was a market gardener by trade!

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
So how can I kill it without harming the tomato plants???

The important question is: do you need to kill it? 'Fraid I can't answer that one though...

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
This is a good question, do I need to get rid of the ever expanding mould??

I'm worried that it will cover the tomato plants and then slowly, but surely consume my flat, then spread to cover Swindon, which thinking about it, is probably not a bad thing...

Best be safe than sorry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE