Most wind-resistant tarp setup?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Hey everybody,

I was just wondering if anybody has any thoughts on how to make a strong tarp set-up?

I'm going to be bivi'ing on top of some cliffs in the near future and I want some extra protection against rain but as everywhere on the coast I'm expecting strong wind. I've got two collapsible poles that I can use as there won't be any trees (although I could use a fence post) and a choice between my 58' pattern poncho and my 3x3M DD tarp. Pegging might be a problem as well but I could always try to scavenge some rocks.

I was thinking the poncho as it is less surface area to catch the wind and a big tougher as well.

Can anyone offer some suggestions?

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
I would take the 3x3M tarp for more coverage. A pyramid type set up with the back to the wind could cover you from all sides if you can close the front flaps up. Use one pole for the front peak and the second one to tie the back to give you more head room and to keep it from sagging in on you if the wind blows really hard that way. It should keep all the rain off you too. Just pick a good spot that won't flood you and you should be pretty dry and comfy. Bring the poncho too and use it as a ground cloth and/or poncho.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
A good set up to go against wind is to have part of the tarp on the deck where you and your pack goes, then a normal slope part to shelter you from the wind and then a lip that comes down at an angle almost like a V on its side. That way the wind can not come behind you and effect you, a 3x3 tarp would give you more cover and with you and your kit also help in keeping the tarp in place. I tried to draw a picture of the set up but it didn't seem to work so I may have to make the setup and take a photo of it if necessary.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
A good set up to go against wind is to have part of the tarp on the deck where you and your pack goes, then a normal slope part to shelter you from the wind and then a lip that comes down at an angle almost like a V on its side. That way the wind can not come behind you and effect you, a 3x3 tarp would give you more cover and with you and your kit also help in keeping the tarp in place. I tried to draw a picture of the set up but it didn't seem to work so I may have to make the setup and take a photo of it if necessary.

I think I understand what you mean, sort of using one part of the tarp as a groundsheet and the other as a lean-to?

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'd suggest leaving the 3x3 behind if you know its going to be seriously windy.
The issue 58 patt poncho, can be made into a bivvy bag in extremis but it should be more than strong enough to stand up to a gale if pitched right.

If you rig it with your poles as a low, pitched roof basha, with the windward side pegged to the ground and the lee side, maybe a foot or two higher, you could use a fence post or two, to act as solid anchors.

I'll try and a bit of a drawing, scan it and pop it up later.

atb

R.B.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I've got a bivi bag but I'm unsure of how waterproof it is so I think I will still only take the poncho as around here you should always expect strong wind.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I like the cave setup myself and haven't had any problem with wind when kipping in it. One windy night earlier this year on the side of one of the coniston hills convinced me that tents are not more stable in wind than tarps if both pitched well. Just tents are probably easier to pitch well for a novice. A novice tarper needs to learn pitching techniques more than a tentist has to. That's just the way I look at it. Of course a tarp is easier to pitch once you know how to best use it in the conditions you encounter.

TinkyPete - it sounds interesting your pitch bu I don't understand it fully. I did see a you-tune vid of a tortilla style of pitchin where the excess tarp fabric is used underneath the user. It was a kind of cave / pyramid set-up pitched low and tight to the user. I'll try and find it. IIRC it looked like the user was covered on all sides including underneath.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I don't think it matters which one you use so long as yuo can pitch it in a stable manner. Not sure of poncho size but I use a 2.5m x 2.5m tarp myself for solo use and really rate it. Ppl say it is a 2-3 man but for myself I find it really a 1 man or 2 man at a push. I like my room. I'd be tempted by the 3m tarp but thats only because I have the idea in my head that the poncho's are rather small. A larger tarp up to the 3m square ones allow for a more enclosing pitch and IMHO a more stable one. Still up to you, we all probably use them differently anyway.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you can get pegs in, hang the tarp low or even grounded at one side but then taker two guys from each of your poles at 45*. It really helps to keep the thing stable in the heaviest gusts.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
That's my preferred set up for bad weather. I can confirm it is stable and even if a particularly strong gust does get under the edge it doesn't lift. The bad night on the Coniston hills did lift a few pegs though but the whole set-up stayed in place. Can seriously recommend it.

Have a look at this one, the burrito not tortilla as I said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPDIJ0hqWQw

I hope that link works if it doesn't look for clips by aherrington1.

There are many tarp shelter vids on youtube. The one Tadpole recommended has been around for some time and certainly educated me. The first tarp trip I made I had a vague idea of this style but cocked it up so badly that I started again with an a-frame style. Fortunately one end was against a craglet so it had the same sort of shelter in the end. I've got a photo of that but can't seem to add them to this site. Really must learn how to do that.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
That looks like a decent set-up tadpole, I'm going to scout out the area in a day or two so I'll be able to make a better decision then.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Try this ( lower the pole ) and have the open door away from wind direction, very sturdy if set up with slope into the wind
DSCF0041.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE