Moskoselkatan!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
R

Ross

i have recently got one of the arran 5 light wieght tepees. they are absolutly supurb but a little bit smokey! i have tried digging a trench to get a through flow and this seems to help. i was just wondering if any one else has one and could share some tricks n tips!! :lol:
ross

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Bought one off Gary a couple of months back, but havent used it yet (apparently it used to belong to Mr Mears). I got a firebox with it, but have just purchased one of those pocket cookers as I thought a full blown firebox thing might overwhelm the small tent.

How did you go about sleeping in yours? How many would you say can sleep in it?

Ta.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Ross - good news and bad news.

Bad news is the smoke will never go away - you need to have the door open to create an up draft.

Good news is if you use instant bbq's and light it outside, wait for it to burn down to the coals (stop smoking) and then place this inside you shelter it will be toasty warm.

R

Ross

i would say that you can get about 3 people plus kit but its a bit cramped, its massive for 1! i normally put my sleeping bage and therma-rest in a bivi bag, that way i can have the roof open to clear the smoke and condensation (which can be a problem) and if it rains i stay dry! :-D . my fire box has warped but it sorts its self out when the fire gets going, where do you get these pocket cookers?
Ross

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
We use a different type of tent very similar to the Moskoselkatan ones but made by Venor. (Venore Lavvu)

Instead of using an open fire or a fire box we use wood burning stoves. The ones that Venor and Moskoselkatan sell are way too expensive though so we made some up using old fire extinguishers and one from an old calor gas bottle - they're pretty heavy so you wouldn't be using them for backpacking, but if you've got a standing camp or if youre travelling by canoe then they work great. (and only cost about a fiver to make!)

If any one is interested I'll write up the details and let you know how we did it.

George

I use the tipi as a super roomy 2 man tent - it's massive. I'm 6'3" and can stand up in the centre. Have tried the firebox and suffered the smoke problem - I like Gary's idea of the BBQs. I reckon you would be able to get 2 couples (or pairs of very close friends!) in there at a push, one couple each side of the pole, feet facing the door, but wouldn't fancy it myself. Also great for family with two kids? At 2.9 kg (6.5 lb) it's a lot of tent for a modest weight.

Check out the link http://www.moskoselkatan.se/standard.asp?TextNummer=2075

Anyone in the market for a tipi should also lookup the Golite Hex 3 http://www.golite.co.uk/scstore/scstore/product_categories/products/hex3.html

I have their hootchy (the Cave 1) and like it as it is a lot bigger and lighter than an Aussie hootch. Neither of these products arrive with their seams sealed, but sealant is provided and once done the hootch is waterproof.

Cheers

Steffan

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

Golite tents and tarps are made from SilNylon which is their term for silicone inpregnated nylon.

It's a very lightweight materiel at about 60ish grammes a square meter.

The Aussie Hoochie is made from heavier material I would think to make it 'Soldier proof'. If you have parted with quite a bit of cash for a Golite cave or Tarp then you're going to be looking after it.

Golites products are innovative but expensive.

I looked at golite's products and the Aussie hoochie and dedcided to have a go at making my own tarp.

I'll post the results when it's finished.

cheers

John

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Folks

Be very careful with the barbeques - remember if you seal the tent up tight you'll get carbon monoxide build up and end up having the best nights sleep ever. Only problem is you won't wake up!

I managed to poison myself doing exactly the same thing about 4 years ago - I wondered why I felt headachey sick and lethargic (and no I didn't have a hangover!) It was 'cos we had brought the barby in to the tent to keep warm after using it to cook on.

It's the same with any fire in a tent - keep it well ventilated or suffer the consequences.

Hey I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs but take care.

George

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i have an arran 5 too, i have found that it is impossible to get rid of the smoke compleatly and digging a trench does help a bit or raising in on some logs (make sure its stable) i think the most inmortant part is to get as dry wood as possible (i know it is not always possible) and then to split it down really really thin and most importantly strip all the bark off it is the outer rings which carrie the water!

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Well I just got a new Arran 7 today!!

I got a really good deal from Caspar at Light My Fire in Edinburgh.(0845 658 8549) He tells me though that prices are going to be going up "substantially" for the Arran models in February next year. Apparently the Arran sells much better over here than the more expensive Tapp versions so they're going to close the price gap between them.

I'm looking forward to trying it out over the holidays. Lots of snow forecast this weekend so I'll see how it goes.

Wish me luck

George

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
If ever you want to make your own Tipi, the site below is a great resource.

http://www.tipis-tepees-teepees.com/

If you fancy having a go at living in a Tipi before you make one, Tipi West is a company that rents them out at £15 per person per night. We're off with a group of ten for easter weekend, just for the experience. Their website is below. I just love the idea of toasting your feet by a crackling fire after a day on the hill !! :-D

http://www.tipiwest.co.uk/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE