Mors' try-stick

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ril25

Mar 16, 2010
Hungary
I've seen a pdf description of the try stick, (I don't know where does it came from, in the header there is "bushcraftuk.com"). On the try stick, #11 is a whistle. I'd like to know if anybody have made it, and how? I don't really understand, why is that placed in the middle of the stick, instead of placed on the end, and this way it can be a usable whistle. Any idea?

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
It's the cut you make to make a whistle (your right it dosent work there ;))
[video=youtube;rSUo_Y6bsqE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSUo_Y6bsqE[/video]
[video=youtube;inBOmQizHxI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inBOmQizHxI&feature=re lated[/video]

ril25

Mar 16, 2010
Hungary
Great videos, but they use drill and other tools. I'm curious to know the bushcraft-way, with a knife only :) However I've already made whistle from willow bark, it is different, because you should hollow out the stick itself. So any images or videos showing this?

ril25

Mar 16, 2010
Hungary
Kepis, thanks for the video, but it's not what I'm talking about. Btw, I really like your blog :)
The image from the pdf:
trystick_whistle_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

So it is made by hollowing, and not by removing the whole bark in one piece, like on the video. I'd like to know how to hollow this regular cylinder form with one knife only.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers, to make the one you show, you need to split off a section and remove the chamber using the tip of the knife, just make shallow V cuts and it will soon hollow out, the clues how to do it are in the picture btw.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Kepis, thanks for the video, but it's not what I'm talking about. Btw, I really like your blog :)
The image from the pdf:
trystick_whistle_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

So it is made by hollowing, and not by removing the whole bark in one piece, like on the video. I'd like to know how to hollow this regular cylinder form with one knife only.

Looks to me that you split along that solid black line, do your hollowing out, and carve the top of the chip, then bind the two halves together, or at least that's what it says in the picture:confused:

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
yep, it isnt difficult, just follow the instructions in the diagram, take your time and all will become clear as you go:)

Last edited:

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
Great videos, but they use drill and other tools. I'm curious to know the bushcraft-way, with a knife only :) However I've already made whistle from willow bark, it is different, because you should hollow out the stick itself. So any images or videos showing this?

My uncle showed me years ago how to make a whistle, he used a length of elder and after poking the pith out he enlarged the hole in the centre out by heating a poker in the fire then pushing it into the whistle

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE