Mors Kochanski survival scarf

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
kepharts was called a browse bag

its the same sort of thing but bigger - used as a matress but you could get in it too if needed

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Interesting, I think the fabric would be too much for me around my neck but it's a useful idea.

I suppose if I'm out for the night then I'm carrying a pack containing my sleep kit anyway, if it's cold enough I'll have a wool headover with me too.

How does Mors use it Sam, is it something he grabs if he's going light and might get caught out for a night?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Sorry i dont have speakers on the comp at the moment so excuse me if Im repeating something thats on the video but thats a awfull lot like the Pallesse/market wallet I made from thin flax canvas for my so far unused period trekking gear

Pallesse01_zps62e8d1f1.jpg

If I ran it through the washer a few times it would be soft enough to use as a scarf if a bit heavy.

I'm wondering if some pertex 6 would be strong enough to make one in as I have some squirrelled away some where that should be big enough?

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I made something similar, just to use up a length of parachute material I had laying around.
Its three layers "Z" folded and measures about 10 foot long by nearly 5 foot wide. Works as a hammock but crumples small enough to use as a scarf when doubled over a few times - not tried it as a mattress/bedding but its very warm as a scarf/hood.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Just watched that video and I didn't get anything out of it at all.

I have no sound on my computer and all I saw was a man unwrapping some cloth, putting it around his neck ......... erm ...... like a scarf :rolleyes: ..... then laying it on the floor and gesticulating a lot.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I had the same reaction as Bushwacker. However, it made me get out the length of parachute silk my Dad liberated during WWII: it'll be ideal for the job as multi purpose scarf, ground cloth and camouflage cover.

My Mum asked my Dad to get some of this new-fangled nylon stuff from parachutes during the war as all her friends were making petticoats and knickers out of it. He duly obliged, but being a bit slow on the uptake didn't realise that white nylon undies are great, but camouflaged frillies were not quite the thing.

Her loss was our gain though. Over the years, the piece of nylon he brought back has bee sleeping bag covers, sheet for warm weather sleeping and camouflage for pigeon shooting. Looks is if 65 years later its going to have another lease of life.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Ha ha, a survival scarf! That really is next level preparedness Sam! I use a shemagh sometimes but that's as far as I go myself. A full on survival scarf would fall under my soup fork category-completely useless for my purposes...I do recall Nessmuk having something that could be stuffed as a pillow or similar though, I could well be wrong of course.

Roger

Forager
Sep 7, 2004
Sussex
I have one of those in my collection of bit and bobs from years ago. It is a well thought out bit of kit with a multitude of uses. It could be a scarf,mossie head net, hat, bag, water strainer, and all kinds of things and I carried it for years and never used it. It does seem to do most things a shemagh would do only quicker drying. I prefer a shemagh or sarong as they are even more useful and more comfortable near the skin.
(Don't ask, it isn't for sale, one day when I retire I'll sell of all knid of gems but not yet :).)

Roger

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I considered making one when I realised that a military poncho (with snaps) will perform no better or worse than a browse bag. Snap it closed, fill it up and off you go... and it doubles as a poncho as wel:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE