more stone bits

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
N

nomadbushcraft

Hi all, Just some more examples of stone blades and a few arrow points, these were finished today as I had a wet afternoon at home to fill. All of these are pressure flaked:

Left to right:

Big game arrow points made of Lyme bay flint.
Small game (bird or hare) arrow points made of lyme bay flint and grimes graves flint. Un-hafted skinning blade awaiting a handle, my old favourite the caribou handled flint edge and finally a matched pair brazillian agate scalping knife and smaller utility knife both have osage orange handles and are hafted with pine-pitch and deer sinew.

Each arrow point takes between 20 mins to 1 hour depending on the materials, the agate blades take about a day to flake, haft with oasge or birch and and seal with pine pitch and sinew, the caribou (my mark) is scorch-scrimshawed by using a hot piece of flint before a final varnish of pine resin and linseed oil.

These make beautiful skinning knives as the stone blade is less likely to damage the pelt if it slips. The blade on the scalping knife is nearly 3 inches.

hope you like them

Andrew

Attachments

• todays_picture.jpg
    todays_picture.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 92

jim_w

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2005
York
Those are really impressive! I take it they're sharp? :D

I've always wondered how hard it is to do that - is it called flitknapping, or is that something else? It seems like a complete black art to me. Very nice knives!

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
More exellent knapping Andrew.
Have you made a complete neolithic archery set yet? Mr Mears program on the subject was one of his best,I'm sure there are a few here that would appreciate a view of a completed arrow!

N

nomadbushcraft

I do have a neolithic archery set, I'll post it this evening.

I tend to work more with atlatl and dart technology. I'll post those alongside.
Andrew

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE