More sad than bad.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
That would be 7th Armoured Brigade, if you are trying to find out about his regiment at all. The infamous Desert Rats, now based in Germany. It is the last Brigade I served in.

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
I find it disgusting that people are allowed to impersonate and take the p**s out our sevicemen, I was an 18 year old kid fresh out of training when the Falklands started, we were keen and ready to fight the world, but reallity struck home when my mate caught a bomb on the Antilope and others were hurt or killed on the Sheffield and Glamorgan, I was lucky by the time I got there it was over.
what really annoys me are those people who get some sort of kick out of others courage and their families misery you see them all the time in the pubs self proclaimed rambo's who have'nt got a clue.
All sevicemen take the p**s out of each other in life an death, but these buggers don't have the right, they haven't earned it.
Those buggers that desicrate the memory of those we remember should be taken aside and given a bl**dy good kicking

Ian

(I was not trying to be someone i'm not, just threw on a shirt. I've done my time, i'm not a lad anymore, i've done things i'm proud of and somethings i'm not. I just think that, even though you've been there, seen that and got the t-shirt, sometimes, it's not such a good idea to wear it!:D

Hear Hear
though I am jelous of that rugby shirt!!
Seriously though the things we are and are not proud of, this a very important distinction, I left Her Majesty's Armed Forces last year after 22 years during that time as anyone who knows me will state, I rarely wore my medals (only for those Parades I was detailed for) infact I refused to have two ribbons sewn to my uniform full stop. However last November I did actually dig out all the gongs and just sit for five minuites looking at them good and bad, this year I'll have the other two mounted along with the family ones that have found their way to me. It's important we remember because if we do'nt it only gets worse.
As to 'stolen valour' or whatever folk choose to call it, all a bit pathetic really I expect for those who practice it there is some kind of buzz or perhaps they feel somehow bigger or more of a man?.
Personally Rememberance Day, and Days of Rememberance always make me feel rather small and somewhat guilty.
Apologies for the semi rant
cheers Tim

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I've been mulling over the idea of posting in this thread since it started. Now that things have mellowed and wandered off topic slightly, I feel more comfortable doing so.
Like many others, I served my time and I'm intensely proud of some moments, and a little ashamed at others. To hear that there are those around who would artificially bathe in the glory of someone elses deeds, saddens me deeply. It is a topic that I dont even want to consider when remembering my fallen friends who paid their all in service of our country. I didn't do anything heroic, most of my time it was barely noteworthy, but I was there and I did my bit - it is mine to remember and no-one should steal my memories and announce them as their own.

Ogri the trog

Nathan Sturgess

Forager
Mar 11, 2006
Various due to work
One of my dad's mates was in the SBS and never ever talks about it, the only hints you get are wall placks and the odd picture on the wall shaking a royal's hand or something. But one of my mate's dad's claims to be ex-SAS, he brags about it all the time and wears this american body armour, probably off ebay, which he claims he was issued, for paintballing. I am like 'get a grip,dude'

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
My old man's the same - he was in 42 Commando RM for over 10 years but you would have to hold him down and pin his arm behind his back to get him to talk about it - not something I have ever tried!:lmao:

Having been acquainted with a few of my dad's forces buddies over the years it has been my observation that many ex-forces blokes either want to completely move on and forget the life they had before, or feel that it was definately the best years of their life and take every opportunity to reminisce. My dad definately falls into the former category - he got invalided out due to complications arising after he broke his leg in an accident and I think he feels quite bitter towards 'the establishment' so to speak.

As for the bloke pretending to be a Falklands veteran I cant really see why he makes anyone look stupid other than himself - more fool him for pretending to be something he's not. Just out of interest, how was he rumbled or did he just admit it himself?

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Yup all respect to our boys young and old that have either been out there or are out there. I was convinced from an early age that the forces were for me and joined the RM at 20 - I got half way through basic training and realised the romantic notions I had foolishly held were a far cry from the reality. I knew I was never going to be what was required for the job and bowed out despite having done well up to that point. It takes a certain type of person to make a soldier and I was not that person and never would have been.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Yes Silverback, but it also takes a certain type of person to actually put their hands up and say ' It's not for me'. Rather than continue, unhappily and waste their own time and everyone elses, they have (you had) the minerals to actually say that, and for that reason, you can still look at yourself in the mirror (urgh):)

I've worked with trainee's that fight thier way through training that they do not enjoy and does not reward them, only to PVR when they finish the course. Some, however, realise that maybe it's not what they thought it was and come forward. In these days of peer pressure and the stigma of not succeeding, it takes a large pair of brass one's for a 17 year old in a group of 16, or a 25 year old in advanced training to do that, and their strength of character earns my respect.

Oh yes Timinwales, how did you recognise the rugby shirt?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE