Mora with cord-wrapped handle and turkshead knot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks!

Made this the other day, from your plain rubbishy white twine from the newsagents, darkened with brown shoe polish (which turned it a beetroot colour for some reason) and sealed with lacquer. Quite smug about the placement of the turkshead; Fits just above the sheath and right in the hollow bit of the palm, between the middle and ring finger, so it's surprisingly comfortable and still secure in the sheath.

deckmora.jpg

deckmora2.jpg

I may yet reshape the blade to something more deck-knifey but that's it for now! Running out of things to add turkshead knots to...

Pete

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Realy like that Pete,and I think I have that knife,it was my late Dads,is it pretty old!?
Chris.

Cheers mate!

To be honest, the matter of where these knives came from is a matter of some confusion. The blades are stamped so:
jons.jpg

I think the working theory is that it was Erik Jonsson, one of four Jonsson brothers (Broderna Jonsson, who apparantly took over their fathers workshop in the thirties). Even the Swedish members over on BB don't know for sure though. It's unclear how they're still being sold though, if they're that old, as all of the ones I've had my hands on have been in brand new condition with no rust or patination, but nothing to protect from corrosion either. Can't seem to find a current maker who's doing them, though. Excellent knives, my favourite Moras!

If you've got a pic I'd love to see it!

Pete

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
i would be chuffed with that buddy. if your thinkin of doin a couple give us a shout.

Cheers mate :D Not too sure how it will hold up tbh, the lacquer's pretty dry now but doesn't completely cure for a couple weeks - it may wind up being too hard, with the comparatively squishy string underneath it, causing it to crack and flake. We'll see though! If I do one with a different finish I'll drop you a line fella!

Pete

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Nice work. Turk's Heads are not that easy to do. Yours look very neat. Makes that knife into something special.:notworthy

Thanks very much mate :D I think I've discovered a hidden love in Turks heads, I've had to start untying them afterwards just so I don't waste paracord :eek: My dad's flashlight didn't escape in time..
flashlight.jpg

Pete

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
The Knife is a generic Mora No 1. Several 'factories' in the Mora area produced them.
(By factories read outworkers)
IIRC Ragnors forge still sell them.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I've had to start untying them afterwards just so I don't waste paracord. My dad's flashlight didn't escape in time..

Oh dear...that shows you are on the slippery slope into addiction, soon you'll have to attend T.H.A. sessions (Turk's Head Anonymous) Hi my name is.....and I am an addict....

leon-1

The Knife is a generic Mora No 1. Several 'factories' in the Mora area produced them.

The knife is a Mora Classic or Mora Classic Original No.1, BB is quite correct that quite a few factories made them including Frosts and K J Eriksson.

Since Frosts and Eriksson merged and became Mora of Sweden in 2005 a lot of the time now you'll actually get a knife with exactly that printed on it "Mora Of Sweden".

They are also the original frosts that Mors K liked and they also appear to be used quite a lot by Cody Lundin.

I make sheaths for them and I have a box of them sat next to me:D

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland

The knife is a Mora Classic or Mora Classic Original No.1, BB is quite correct that quite a few factories made them including Frosts and K J Eriksson.

Since Frosts and Eriksson merged and became Mora of Sweden in 2005 a lot of the time now you'll actually get a knife with exactly that printed on it "Mora Of Sweden".

They are also the original frosts that Mors K liked and they also appear to be used quite a lot by Cody Lundin.

Indeed, it is a common pattern, but not too common a knife; referring to E. Jonsson, not just the basic knife :) And there's virtually no info on the maker to be found.

Oh dear...that shows you are on the slippery slope into addiction, soon you'll have to attend T.H.A. sessions (Turk's Head Anonymous) Hi my name is.....and I am an addict....

No! I don't have a problem! :cussing: :D :p

You could make yourself a bullwhip just to tie the turkshead above the handle if you wanted

http://www.pbase.com/gary2880/image/95068553

:D
As awesomely fun that would be (I do love Indiana Jones) I think that might spook SWMBO :p

Pete

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor

Do you fancy selling me one?!
My best.
Chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE