Mora clipper and opinel kids knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chjo

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
cumbria
Just been looking online for a mora clipper found a deal combining that and a swedish firesteel for £15 99,anyone dealt with ronnie sunshines online shop, please let me know the service you got also getting my 9yo his 1st sharp knife saw an opinel knife aimed at kids with a rounded end for £9 99, do you think i should bother with this or just get him a normal knife and let him get on with it after a few pointers of course.

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
My seven year old has an opinel. He uses it for whittling and helping in the kitchen. Lots of supervision and repetition of safety rules. He has had it for over a year now and not cut himself or anyone else. His safety record is better than mine.
I bought a standard Opinel and rounded it off for him, smoothed down the handle and burned his name into it.

Arri

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2010
Bucks, UK
I'm already planning on getting one of the "My First Victorinox" knifes for my kid (whenever I have one).

What scares me is the legality of getting a boy his first knife, something that used to be a tradition amongst fathers and sons, might just die in fear of a paranoid mass about knife crime. - If more fathers gave their kids their first knives and taught them how to use and respect them, then there wouldn't be as much knife crime, but that requires proper parenthood, a word unknown especially in the chav world.

Ronnie is as good as any other plus you pay via PayPal, which is my preferred way of payment.

chjo

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
cumbria
Thanks for all the replys i'll be supervising him basicly only when were out and about or camping,bowie knives were all the rage when i was a kid as well as air rifles was 25 rs ago but how times have changed,oh no i'm turning into my old fella.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
A rounded end wont do much for saftey, its the blades that cut in my experience.

get him one of my Higonokamis, that way he will have tradition, style and sharpness together.

my main worry with one of those would be the lever...might not be good to become dependent on it.

As for legality...Im not sure. Id be tempted to just go ahead, and if anyone in authority makes trouble, to ask them if they had one when they were that age.

Urban_Dreamer

Jan 8, 2009
Rochdale
As for legality...Im not sure. Id be tempted to just go ahead, and if anyone in authority makes trouble, to ask them if they had one when they were that age.

I'd check the FAQ at BritishBlades, but the legality is quite different from what it is assumed to be.

For example the law was amended in 96 to change the age you can sell a knife from 16 to 18. Exemptions SPECIFICALLY mentioned are EDC folding knives.

So a responsible retailer could legally sell the likes of the opinel mentioned to a child should they feel comfortable doing so.

However Joe Public and most retailers do not know that there is an exemption and probably think that the prohibition on selling is a law against owning or using.

FWIW I provided my children with folding knives to use when camping at about 7-8.

chjo

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
cumbria
He won't be walking the streets with it and under supervision, i know he will cut himself hopefully make it will make him realise what harm a knife can do if or when he gets exposed to them in later years .I was thinking the same tengu concerning the point get him a small bladed opinel i think and a pack of plasters.

Arri

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2010
Bucks, UK
He won't be walking the streets with it and under supervision, i know he will cut himself hopefully make it will make him realise what harm a knife can do if or when he gets exposed to them in later years .I was thinking the same tengu concerning the point get him a small bladed opinel i think and a pack of plasters.

There is definitely no substitute to learning by error, we've all been there as kids :)

Jul 26, 2009
My Front Room
I am sorry if my reply suggested that rounding the blade off, to a drop point design, made it safer. I find the points in Opinels are brittle and rounding them off makes them less likely to break when stuck point first into a piece of wood.
All four children have shot air rifles and the eldest girl is proficent with a four ten.

Bumpy

Forager
Apr 18, 2008
West Yorkshire
Got both my kids one of these each for Christmas:

309633_2007-05-25_091820_706.jpg

from

http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/Product/Product.aspx?id=146528350

Great knives - designed by the Swedes for children (guards to stop hand/fingers slipping forward and plastic piece on back of sheath to stop knife being poked through sheath into hand(!) etc.

My son does have a number 6 carbon opinel, but keeps forgetting to clean and dry it after whittling, hence rusty knife and dad using "Barkeepers Friend" on it to get it back to condition:rolleyes:

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
chjo - Hayes Garden World in Ambleside stock Opinels, IIRC a No. 7 was under £7 last time I was in there.

I've got and regularly use a No. 8 and my other half has a No. 7.

Excellent little knives which take a very keen edge.

Cheers,

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Bumpy, thats pretty much the same as my pet mora (now rescued from kitchen)

Ive never had an Opinel, Im too much in love with my Higonokami at the mo.

chjo

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2009
cumbria
Be round ambelside in feb school hols,anymore shops you could recommend for the clipper in that location i'd rather see one before i buy,keep the lad quiet for a bit as well,only because i can tell him which knives he cant have and he'll be sulking:lmao:thanks for all the info lads.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE