Moose hunting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You can make arrangements with the ranch to hunt them. You negotiate the price.
They will provide back-up fire power. Maybe some machinery and muscle.
The entire carcass, maybe 2000+ lbs dead on the ground, is your problem.
Head and hide off, field dressed and quartered, you will still lose about 25% as bone.

Now until November is good time, ring of 7,000' - 9,000' snow covered peaks all around you.
Use Google to check out McBride, BC.

It's what we call a "canned" hunt. You set up. BLAT!!!!! It's over. 10 minutes?
Looks to me like you all are having a lot more fun in your moose hunt.

Bison are mean and nasty and aggressive and want to stomp you to a pulp and gore you to death, just for fun.
I used to hunt Canada geese in the big fields beside the bison pasture.
I was warned NEVER to chase a wounded goose into the bison enclosure.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Quite large, aren't they...

Well...different types of hunting have their various charm.

The communal way of hunting moose here, is rather fun. The social aspects acts as a social glue. The flip side og that is that there now and then is strife and discord between villages for all kinds of hunt related reasons - real and imagined. Also, nothing gets forgotten. Ever. No joke.

It can be a bit taxing as well as amusing, but I haven't seen much of that here (Hope I don't just jinxed it).

The many stories are really nice camp fire entertainment, though.

The meat is a bonus, in a way

Reactions: santaman2000

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Actually drove past the bison ranch yesterday, the herd was out of the trees on the big grassy part. Thinking back to all the good meals!
It was clear, sunny and 15C like Google yesterday. I visited one ranch and cut a whole garbage bag of mint to dry for Greek seasoning mixes.
Had a great sit-down visit at the next ranch, dogs and all. Came away with a bag of frozen butchered elk, no less!!!!!! Was not my plan! Steak & burger.

Snow-capped? Better believe it looked like that yesterday! I feel disappointed for the tourists driving through here on a cloudy day.
I need to call the grape pickers this week. End of September will be enough, I think.
Have not heard yet of any local moose hunters scoring yet. Many won't go out until it's freezing every night.
Local business cleans skulls and antlers. I know they have gone to the "big city" to stock up on supplies.

No discord among villages here = the countryside is very big and very empty. Valemount is 90 km east.
The city of Prince George is 220 km west. Basically nobody lives in between. Crescent Spur and Dunster are well off the highway.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Lundhags insulated?

Vibram sole?

Good luck with Moose 2018 version 2!

What rifle do you use?

Thx,

Well, they're not really insulated even if there is a foam thingy in them (just to keep them erect). I have to look at the sole and get back....The model is Lundhags Syncro High. (Light. Bombproof. Dryable in the field. Expensive.)

I am sporting a 50's Husqvarna mod 640. 8x57JS/8mm Mauser. I feed it handloaded cartidges, but even so it isn't a rifle for shots longer than 200m (The impact energy is getting a bit low at 200+)

Greger

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Marabou ’Homestyle’?

Never seen or tasted that one!!!?
Shows it is 12 years ago I visited old Svedala.,....

Did you know that Norwegian Freia is the parent company since the start?

You are a bad father...no Kalles!

But you do make it better to serve Fazer kubbar ( I think they are called?)

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
Hahahaha

I admit to the paternal faux-pas, not offering Kalles....but we seldom do Kalles neat and so with softboiled eggs it was a no-go

Kubbar...will do that tomorrow, I think.

Anything branded Marabou goes down with the speed of light :)

Reactions: Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE