Monty Don's Real Crafts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
A new series on More 4 tonight at 9pm. Looks a lot like the Mastercrafts series he did previously on BBC2.

Could be good.

Dave

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Is there much of Monty Don? Love crafts but truly cannot abide Monty Don - I always think he is Kirsty Allsop in drag.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Even my wife stayed awake for it so it can't have been bad! I thought 2 of the finished benches were stunning, but not so keen on the 3rd.
It's furniture making next week.

Dave

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Enjoyed the black smithing- I think the instructor featured in the last series- nice chap. Presumably this was filmed some time ago- it'd be nice to find out what happened next

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
What did everyone think of the benches? - Personally I didn't think any of them particularly matched the brief. "Modern take on a traditional bench".

I think that they all filled the brief brilliantly ... but then define "Modern", "Traditional Bench" :)
Surely "Modern" means "of a taste currently enjoyed", "Traditional Bench" means "a seat for more than one person sitting side by side" IMHO that brief is wider than the oceans!
In my final exam doing a Btec OND in Fashion Design at Art Coll we had a brief to produce a collection of "Resort Wear" clothing.
I made a collection of MOUNTAIN resort clothing, comprising Jacket, Wind Shirt, Trousers and Shorts in Ventile, a cotton T Shirt and my "accessory" was a Map case! All in Grey and Fawn with Rust piping and accents. I was the only person in my group not to think "Sea Side" and use Blue, White and Blue and White stripes!
I got a Distinction!
The brief is there to be interpreted by the craftsman. They each fulfilled the brief in very different ways ... but my favourite won!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
... In my final exam doing a Btec OND in Fashion Design at Art Coll we had a brief to produce a collection of "Resort Wear" clothing.
I made a collection of MOUNTAIN resort clothing, comprising Jacket, Wind Shirt, Trousers and Shorts in Ventile, a cotton T Shirt and my "accessory" was a Map case! All in Grey and Fawn with Rust piping and accents. I was the only person in my group not to think "Sea Side" and use Blue, White and Blue and White stripes!
I got a Distinction!

Please tell me you honestly didn't do ventile shorts... :rolleyes:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Please tell me you honestly didn't do ventile shorts... :rolleyes:

I DID.
And in those days shorts were SHORT.
It is just a pity that they would not let me make the gear in my size - it had to fit our skinny model - or you may have had the joy of seeing me in the woods in Grey and Fawn budgie smugglers! :)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I DID.
It is just a pity that they would not let me make the gear in my size - it had to fit our skinny model - or you may have had the joy of seeing me in the woods in Grey and Fawn budgie smugglers! :)

Thank goodness for small mercies :rolleyes::lmao:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Your just envious - that is all that is about!
Getting back to the Monty prog - I am looking forward to the next episode - wooden furniture :)
It should be another treat!

laro13

Nomad
Jan 21, 2010
The Netherlands
Can you watch it somewhere online?

I DID.

This reminds me of::lmao:

[video=youtube;2bw5zaiRlnM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bw5zaiRlnM[/video]

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The brief is there to be interpreted by the craftsman. They each fulfilled the brief in very different ways ... but my favourite won!

No, the brief is there to guide and protect the craftsman, especially in a commercial project. Any interpretation should be ratified with the client before production. Our contestants didn't have that opportunity.

If the craftsman is experienced and confident they can push back and steer the client on the brief but, particularly in this case, the client also has an eye for design and therefore should be taken seriously.

The winning bench looked like a fairly standard decorative bench to me. Slightly out of proportion.

The girls bench was too fussy. Niche.

And the remaining one was functionally flawed as well as being very "marmite". A brave effort though.

The judges picked a safe one they could sell. They had to pick one.

Not taking anything away from their achievements but I don't think as a test it served to highlight the best in each Smith. They should have been given the freedom to consult and possibly build a model first.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE