Modifying Mora blades to spearpoint

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I have now modded three of my Moras to make the blade profiles closer to a spearpoint. The profile works better for me and I am very happy with the results:

My 545, seen here with an unmodded 510:

With another great spearpoint utility knife, an ML Knives Kephart:

My "2010":

..and a Miki:

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
It's an aesthetics thing mainly, but I really like the new profile of the Miki. I started on a triflex, but it was too much for a file! I need to gain access to a belt sanding type machine!

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I did mine on a sheet of 180 grit wet-and-dry sat on a phone book, which takes a little while! I then removed the sharp edges on a sheet of 1200.

Aesthetics are a big part of it, but I do find that the lower point makes penetrating things a little more effective and, without the mod, the Moras "point" a little high for me. Does that make sense? :eek:

Last edited:

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
:lmao:

Trying to work this out, dropped clipper missed foot by an inch.

Have you just made the back look a little more like the blade?

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I won't see much difference in performance, but there must be a reason that knife makers and manufacturers vary the degree of "drop" in a blade, from Bowie-style clip point to Wharncliffe. Is a spearpoint drop point the compromise between all shapes?

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I won't see much difference in performance, but there must be a reason that knife makers and manufacturers vary the degree of "drop" in a blade, from Bowie-style clip point to Wharncliffe. Is a spearpoint drop point the compromise between all shapes?

Bowie design is combat so it cuts in two directions.

zorro

Nomad
Jun 6, 2009
Chesterfield UK
I'm not sure, but I think the spear point is designed to utilise the tip as a boring/digging tool using a twisting motion.

Aesthetically I like the mod, looks good. goodjob

k975

Jan 19, 2010
Sweden
I've modified quite a few moras. I like the tip to be a bit lower in the relation to the spine as it helps when making the opening cuts when skinning an animal. A lower tip won't dig in and potentially ruin any meat when the knife is held upside down making the cuts.
//K9

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE