MMMMMMMM Tasty??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Try to watch the chapter of Les Stroud survival series, where he eats snails. :wink: He does exactly as said here and says that it tastes like chicken. Haven't tried it (well, perhaps as a child, I don't know :lol: ) but one day...... Maybe..... :rolmao: :biggthump

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Had snails last summer for the very first time (yes: in France) ... a bit chewy (I was told they were a bit "weldone" :nono: ) - tastes good - I had them with garlic :yikes:

Mine didn't taste like chicken though, but this was probably due to the garlic :super:

:wave:

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
maybe someone knows more about this than me but in a recent press article i read that all british snails are edible

some slugs should be avoided due to eating poisonous plants and fungi

the article wasnt too specific on which ones

after collection commercial snails were kept for a few days on fresh herbs to purge themselves

as well as snails, whelks and winkles are edible if collected in remote seashore areas well away from sewage and pollutants

nice and tasty with wild garlic :)

Tant

MarkG

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 4, 2004
Wednesbury, West Mids
Yep all of the snails in the UK are edible. I tend to get loads all over my drive after there's been some rain so I'll have to give them a try sometime.(I've eaten loads just never cooked or prepaired them myself)

Just collect up your snails put them in a tub with a few air holes and a few bits of veg / greens. Leave them there for a few days to 'purge'.

You can then either drop them in some boiling water for a few mins and pick them out and eat them or (like the french) put them in a pan of cold water which will make them stick out of there shell and bring the water to the boil. pull them out there shel lightly fry in a bit of garlic butter and poke them back into there shell for presentation.

From what I've heard slugs aren't worth the bother but they are edible after purging.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I keep meaning to go out and get myself a few, I tread on enough in the garden at night. I've had them a few times in restaurants and I have to say they're much improved if you don't use masses garlic and parsley ( ok so I don't like parsley ) on them. I like them spanish tapas style with a little tomato and chilli. Nearest desription of flavour I could ever give is somewhere between mushrooms and fish

From what I've heard the only way to eat slugs and not barf is to roast them dry and then grind them for addition into something else ( though in one book I have on slug control they do mention one bloke that just swallows them whole and live )

Realgar

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Realgar said:
I have to say they're much improved if you don't use masses garlic and parsley (...) I like them spanish tapas style with a little tomato and chilli.

Hmmm sounds yummy!! :eek:): Tomato & chilli ... :naughty:

Bushcraft doesn't mean you have to eat disgusting things - in this case it comes very close to some high cuisine (maybe even a Michelin star :biggthump ).

Local snails aren't save any longer ... (served with a good glass of wine ... :trink26:)

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
I'm with Johan.

Used to eat snails regularly enough in France. They're tasty but definately don't taste like chicken !

Best eaten piping hot, and not as I was once served, frozen cold in the centre because they weren't fresh and hadn't been defrosted properly :yuck:

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
Are you supposed to remove the visceral hump from the old petit gris ( ie garden snail ) or just eat as it comes out of the shell?

Anyone tried pond snails?

Realgar

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
From what I've heard the only way to eat slugs and not barf is to roast them dry and then grind them for addition into something else ( though in one book I have on slug control they do mention one bloke that just swallows them whole and live )
Probably best to leave the slugs alone as they can feed o some nasty stuff and the toxins build up in their bodies. There hae been a couple of people poisoned through eating them........ For more info check the archives and past posts, I'm sure there was reference to a news article some months back now and quite a disscussion on slug eating.

:)
Ed

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
River cottage cookbook has a bit on snails and how to prepare them. Apparently if you purge them with carrots they taste slightly sweet too. I've never collected them myself but have eaten them a few times, only the rarer Roman snails though which I believe are generally found on chalkland in South east england (as far as I remember) more than other places. I've been meaning to have a go at collecting some common garden snails myself too. When I was a lad and lived by the sea in Devon i spent many saturdays collecting winkles, cockles, and mussels which I used to collect whilst digging for bait. Me and my mate would spend 4 - 5 hours digging lugworm and ragworm for our fishing trips and then sell the majority of the worms to the bait bloke in the tackle shop, so for our labours we had a great sea food lunch, and bucketful of worms for bait for ourselves and made a couple of bob by selling the worms. We nearly always caught pollack or mackerel and Garfish in the summer so we had a great feast on fish and shellfish. Happy memories :super:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE