mistle thrush advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Guys, i've got Mistle thrush building a nest in a plum tree. The problem is thats its about 10 feet off the ground, pretty exposed and a prime target for all the cats. Do i disturb them and discourage them or what.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Ten foot is quite low for a mistle thrush nest. If it was me I would give them a chance and wouldn’t disturb them just let nature takes it’s course but if there is anything you can do to deter a cat I would. Mistle thrushes aggressively protect their nest and dive-bomb anything that gets near it to drive them away.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've had them build at six foot with no troubles. Wrap the trunk and other approaches in briar wire to keep the furry vermin off

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I would leave the birds where they are and see what I could do to deter the cats. You can get animal repellents but they tend to wash off in heavy rain, or put a grease band around the tree as you would in winter to deter some of hte pests. That worked very well indeed for me to stop next door's cats from sharpening their claws on a couple of my small trees. Or wrap some long lengths of bramble arond the trunk temporarily.

Silkhi

Forager
Mar 28, 2015
N Yorks
Aye leave them well alone - such beautiful birds & I must admit I haven't seen one in a few years now. Much as I love cats use anything to put them off - the collar seems like a sound plan.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Looks like the Mizzys have abandoned the nest. Apparently next door was out cutting wood with a skill saw right under the tree. Havnt seen a thrush now for two days. Shame, i was looking forward to seeing the young, tore a strip off the guy as he knew they were there, d..khead

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE