Mirror

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
How many carry in their kit a mirror? What quality will suffice.
A few years ago on a canoe trip one of our members had a hair in her eye and it (eye) got extremely irritated to the point they (the couple) were considering going back to town to get it out. She could not allow someone else to "poke" around in her eye and we had no mirror. After a while I realized that I had the reflector mirror on my Silva compass and using this she was able to extract the offending hair and stay the whole trip with the group, a boon for us. I am still looking for a better quality mirror that would be small enough to easily carry and protected from damage. I have thought of a ladies compact? but find it hard to go shopping for it :rolleyes: any other suggestions? CG :yo:

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
I've always just used the flat metal reflective mirrors that you get in camping shops here... I've never really needed anything finer than that...

ODG

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Its always a good idea to carry a heliograph, that will also double up as a mirror. I know some polish up the lids of their survival tins to achieve this.........Jon

directdrive

Forager
Oct 22, 2005
USA
I always carry an emergency signalling mirror in my kit. In doubles as a shaving mirror or when I or someone else needs it......Mine is laminated heavy duty plastic so it won't break.....Bruce

Parsley

Nov 14, 2005
Lancashire
I have always carried a small mirror which I got from a local cheep shop for 50p so no drama if it broke. It has not done so in 5 years and has been through Bolivian Jungle, South African mountains and various traks and bushcraft weekends. I have now put it in a small survival tin so it is bound to break.

It has been useful for just the occasions you mentioned such as getting out objects from eyes and inspecting bites in places you just can't see.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Certainly is an argument for the Silva Type 15 Ranger compass. the folding mirror protects both compass and mirror.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
CG

I take one so that I can check for ticks when I'm out on my own, it's an old metal heliograph so even I can't break it.

Brian

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
Carcajou Garou said:
How many carry in their kit a mirror? What quality will suffice.
A few years ago on a canoe trip one of our members had a hair in her eye and it (eye) got extremely irritated to the point they (the couple) were considering going back to town to get it out. She could not allow someone else to "poke" around in her eye and we had no mirror. After a while I realized that I had the reflector mirror on my Silva compass and using this she was able to extract the offending hair and stay the whole trip with the group, a boon for us. I am still looking for a better quality mirror that would be small enough to easily carry and protected from damage. I have thought of a ladies compact? but find it hard to go shopping for it :rolleyes: any other suggestions? CG :yo:
I carry one of SWMBO's old compacts. When emptied of the excess (powder), makes useful storage for fishing line, hooks, sewing kit etc. Small, and takes up very lttle space, plastic case, so pretty strong as well...

one side magnified one side normal.. ;)
21-11-05_2044.jpg
[/IMG]

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
In the army , they use a buddy buddy system where you look after each other .
One of the things you are supposed to do is visually check the parts of your buddy that he can not see for ticks and leaches etc. So unless you have a mate that likes stareing at your bottom etc. (and vise versa) I would highly recomend a mirror , any mirror infact . Prehaps even a full length mirror would be preferable to the alternative :lmao:
Pumbaa

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Yep pumbaa your right mate but I dont always go with lots of blokes who are willing to inspect py private parts. :rolleyes:

Brian

Kirruth

Forager
Apr 15, 2005
Reading
www.bayes.org.uk
I have a Star Flash signal mirror, and they are great...at least for signalling.

Their ads also say they are good for putting on make up. "Whether attracting the attention of another hunter several ridge lines away or applying makeup, this mirror offers superior performance." Don't you believe it: they are pants for make up.

Stuck in the desert, needing to signal over the horizon? Star Flash.
Telling an aircraft to drop ammunition? Star Flash.
Needing to refresh foundation, add a bit of lippy - Clarins or Chanel compacts.

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I carry a Rescue Reflectors 2x3 plastic mirror in my pack or pocket. I had an opportunity to test this with my wife at Crater Lake Oregon. The lodge is on the rim and there is a trail around the rim. I had walked a mile or a mile and a half and could still easily see the lodge and approximately where my wife was. I contacted her on the ham radio and tried to describe my location...to no avail. So I pulled this little mirror out and brought the fireball down to her location and she immediately exclaimed how laser like the beam was. She had located my position in an instant.

rescuereflector12186vf.jpg

I also have a 3x5 glass version from Rescue Reflectors that I carry when canoeing.

I highly recommend a sighting mirror over a substitute as a properly designed aiming hole that produces a fireball makes precision flashing very easy. Rescue Reflectors hand makes these mirrors and they are highly tuned for maximum reflectivity.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I also carry a starflash with me. The 2x3" mirror works very well to apply makeup! Camo makeup that is. :D I've also gotten a look at a tick or two that would have normally been beyond my ability without the mirror. :yikes: :aargh4: Yep, it's a nasty place to get a tick, trust me.

Kirruth

Forager
Apr 15, 2005
Reading
www.bayes.org.uk
Hehe, joking aside, a signal mirror is really essential: its amazing how few people have them and how hard they are to find. With a bit of practice, you can use them to signal for miles.

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
When i was in the army you had a mirror in you was kit to wash the cam cream off but it was also a regimental SOP to have a signal mirror in your survival kit.

This is mine
mirror2zb.jpg

It is a good idea using the mirror on a sighting compass but my sighting compass Suunto has no mirror and is similar to this but the military version with a different face and marked with mils .
kb_14_medium_11033.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE