Mini Lantern

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swissgearlabs

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2011
Switzerland
www.youtube.com
Hej Everybody

I made my own mini lantern for outdoor use, trekking, mountaineering etc. It runs on lamp oil (ermmm, Paraffin Oil in the UK? Petrol or Petroleum in Switzerland...).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFXX40TKA4Y

I checked some products but was not really happy with what was available. This mini lantern responds to my needs well and is part of my extended backpack kit:
- small and also easy to operate (even with cold fingers)
- long burn time (10-14 hrs on one fill)
- reliable & rugged
- NOT MESSY
- if you buy the right lamp oil not stinky
- if it falls over it will go out (preferably you hang it up on its chain)

It is a small piece of kit that makes outdoor living (especially in bad weather) more comfortable. Let me know what you think.
(I also have some images to show but have not figured out yet how to upload them to the thread....)

Greetings from Switzerland
P@

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That is rather nice :D

Tell me you've got a copyright on it ? Seriously, otherwise someone with a commercial ability will nick your design.

I have to tell you that you aren't allowed to advertise without first contacting the site owner, Tony, but there are a lot of kit buyers on the site :)

cheers,
Toddy

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Hi,
What a wonderful piece of kit - but as Toddy says I hope you hsve protected the design?
If you are making any more I would certainly be very interested in one if they became available.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Rik, thats not a patch on P@'s mate, no comparison at all !

Have you tried them both by any chance?, you realise the one I linked is only the burner, designed to fit a UCO lantern don't you?

This http://www.survivaldepot.co.uk/UCO_Oil_Insert/p474753_1766432.aspx

Fits in this
http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?P_ID=4581 So they are in fact comparable, there is a certain similarity between the original and the one posted here by the 'inventor'. I suspect he was heavily influenced by the UCO design. I wish the chap luck but its already been done and is available.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Stamped out tinplate with plastic plugs, or machined from the solid ?

I have the Uco ones, and the knock off brass ones. They do work, but the way the machined pieces seem to twist securely in this one appeals.
Like the difference between an airbed and a down mat iimmc; or a plastic match case and the case one, both similar ideas and both work, just one has more refinement and robustness.

cheers,
M

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Stamped out tinplate with plastic plugs, or machined from the solid ?

I have the Uco ones, and the knock off brass ones. They do work, but the way the machined pieces seem to twist securely in this one appeals.
Like the difference between an airbed and a down mat iimmc; or a plastic match case and the case one, both similar ideas and both work, just one has more refinement and robustness.

d

cheers,
M

Great Toddy, buy one and give an unbiassed review, sorry the guy is not far off cloning the UCO insert, tell me they don't look similar?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The three lugged Uco insert is a right royal pain, especially if you manage to get molten wax on it :sigh: Been there, done that :(

I freely admit, I like good engineering, and from the little we've seen of this one, it looks better made, more robust and altogether a more secure fit.
I haven't seen one, none of us has, we're just interested.

The fact that we're showing interest kind of indicates that there's something lacking in the available alternatives though.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE