Mini Lantern

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swissgearlabs

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2011
Switzerland
www.youtube.com
That is rather nice :D

Tell me you've got a copyright on it ? Seriously, otherwise someone with a commercial ability will nick your design.

I have to tell you that you aren't allowed to advertise without first contacting the site owner, Tony, but there are a lot of kit buyers on the site :)

cheers,
Toddy

Thanks, Toddy, for the hint. I checked with Tony and there are no problems. If I decide to make a few more I need to become a "hobby maker" for £30 a year (and not sell more than 8 pieces). Fair enough.

Cheers, p@

swissgearlabs

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2011
Switzerland
www.youtube.com
Have you tried them both by any chance?, you realise the one I linked is only the burner, designed to fit a UCO lantern don't you?

This http://www.survivaldepot.co.uk/UCO_Oil_Insert/p474753_1766432.aspx

Fits in this
http://www.heinnie.com/product.asp?P_ID=4581 So they are in fact comparable, there is a certain similarity between the original and the one posted here by the 'inventor'. I suspect he was heavily influenced by the UCO design. I wish the chap luck but its already been done and is available.

Hi Rik

I said I was not entierly happy with what was available. Which basically means I am not happy with the UCO design. Not with that oil insert (the design you point out) nor with the wax candle.

My wee lantern works for me, I made it for myself. But that is just my view and that's about it.

Greetings from Switzerland
P@

Indeed

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Uhuh :) and from post #2 onwards folks were asking if he'd be making them for sale.
Seems it's not a new issue :sigh:
Though, you'd have thought someone would have had a go at a commercial version in that time :dunno:

cheers,
M

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As you say Ian, nothing new, and this insert certainly is not new. Perhaps because it looks home made is the appeal of this 'new' lantern.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
new, old, original, copied, i don't care, i think that's a great little bit of kit.
well done P@

stuart

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
That's really nice. I'd be interested in one of those if they went into production.

So what if it is similar to the UCO one? He never claimed to be the inventor of an original idea. He just said hey look what I've managed to make for myself. Hobo stoves have been done a million times in pretty similar ways but we all still like to post when we have just made one for ourselves.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
If you do start making these and selling on the site, sign me up! i think its fantastic, its small yet gives off lots of light and looks sturdy, reliable and simple!

swissgearlabs

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2011
Switzerland
www.youtube.com
That's really nice. I'd be interested in one of those if they went into production.

So what if it is similar to the UCO one? He never claimed to be the inventor of an original idea. He just said hey look what I've managed to make for myself. Hobo stoves have been done a million times in pretty similar ways but we all still like to post when we have just made one for ourselves.

... sometime in the future I will post my take on the hobo stove, too... :cool:

... been testing, modifying and tinkering for more than two years on my version now:)

I think it's fun to compare and see how we all do things differently

thanks for the comment!
P@

Vickyjs

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2008
Devon
I often look at this section to see what people are making. I think it's really cool to see different ideas and different skill levels. For example when someone posts a picture of a spoon everyone says "Nice one mate" even if it's a really rough / dodgy first attempt, they certainly don't say "it's been done before"

When I saw the the photos of the mini lantern I just thought it was REALLY cool and wished I had the skills / facilities to make something so well. As someone who used to be a product designer (in another life before having kids) I can say that there is very rarely a 'totally new' idea. For a while I worked for Dulux (a long time ago) and I often had to deal with visitors coming to try to 'sell' us their totally unique 'paint brush washing system' or 'special hook for hanging a paint pot on a ladder' All these people (usually older men and members of inventors clubs in the midlands) were convinced they had come up the next BIG thing. It's pretty hard to come up with something totally new.

Like lots of people I just make stuff for pleasure - I love the problem solving, developing skills and making something that looks good, and it's nice to get feedback other peoples comments and ideas are interesting. Obviously when someone posts pics of something they've made on this part of the forum they are PROUD of their achievements, they aren't trying to sell what they've made - just get a bit of encouragement and support from like minded people.

I love looking at what everyone makes.
Vicky

rancid badger

Hey P@ I think that's a really nice piece of work, that is quite obviously of superior quality to the alternatives, already available.

The UCO candle lanterns are quite frankly; awful. They are made from horribly cheap materials and are vastly over rated in my opinion. Way over priced for what you actually get, as are the replacement candles.

The "oil burner" insert for the UCO appears to be a simple and cheap, plastic moulding which is a great idea but which cannot cost more than a few pence to make. I certainly wouldn't be happy to part with £10 for that.

On the other hand P@, The drawback ( I imagine) with your lantern is; It's surely going to be extremely difficult to make these in any decent numbers, at the same or better quality and keep the price, any where near competitive.

I hope you can, as I'd certainly be interested at the right price.

Very well done and good luck with it, I sincerely hope you can progress with this, I really like it;)

sincere best wishes

Steve

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I like the look of this too and I can see how it would be far less messy than the candle version so count me in too if you go into production if the price is right. Well done P@ you have turned out something really good there I reckon, and well made too me thinks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE