Mini/Button compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
I'm looking for a compass to put in an emergency tin, has anyone got any recommendations?

I don't really fancy the deal-extreme point any way but north ones, and I don't trust fleabay sellers as they've probably bought theirs from DX.

So, what should I be looking for?

Cheers,
Nit

pwb

And yet another vote for the Marbles here :).

If space is limited the Francis Barker brass button compass looks great, always fancied one myself , bit pricey though.

I've got the Francis Barker yellow plastic button compass . Came in a survival kit I bought years ago, seems fine if not so robust.

Francis%20Barker%201505%20Plotting%20Compass%20(250).jpg

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I have the Marbles, it is slow to move and sticks due to a large bubble, the Francis Baker is good, but tiny and I got rid of mine.

Played with a Silva and it is fast to settle and the right size for me. Will probably get rid of the barbles and go with the Silva.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Marbles? how does that work?

Marble's Brass Survival Compass
Marble’s® traditional brass body compasses are a 100-year-old institution with outdoorsmen worldwide. Teddy Roosevelt carried a Marble’s compass as did Admiral Perry and Byrd on trips to the North and South Pole. Marble compasses have been routinely pinned on G.I. Bomber and flight jackets in every American conflict since World War ll. A Marble Compass is simply one of the best brass button compasses available.

Marble’s® compasses are still in use today by serious outdoorsmen and survivalists world wide. A compass in a survival situation is a must. If it becomes necessary to move from your current location, you must know which way you are going. A survival compass is a basic survival item and the Marble Compass does the job admirably.

The Marble Brass Button Compass is available in both pin on and pocket versions and features solid brass bar stock construction. The brass compass casing is strong, malleable, waterproof, and will not rust. The movement rotates on an ultra smooth agate jewel bearing and the crystal of the Marble Compass is virtually shatterproof. With a distinctive revolving black face and green luminous letters, the Marble’s® compass is simple and easy to read.

I have this one...
MR222.jpg

But you can get these too...
brass-marbles-1-compass-769-p.jpg

Another vote would be the Brunton ball compass...
9067_06_L.jpg

Hope that clears it up.

Simon

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Aaaaaah marbles is a MAKE of compass, right. you lot had me proper wondering how the hell you use a marble (glass ball) to give you north.
perhaps if its mounted on a small table and you wear a little head scarf and call yourself mystical moira or something.

ooh, i like that ball compass!

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
I recommend the Sunnto Clipper compass with a glow-in-the-dark dial (there is also a non-glow model that is the same) because it has a direction of travel arrow, a step up from the featureless button compass.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE