mini axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Hi all,

I am on the lookout for a small hatchet. I will use it for limbing small branches, chopping kindling and carving spoons etc.
I currently own an Aldi cheapo hatchet and an AJ Finlay large Axe (SFA size). Both of which are good. I want something lighter that is no more than 12" (ish). and no more than 20 oz.
The GB mini looks perfect but the price definately isn't.
The Vaughan hatchet is a bit too small TBH.
I have my eye on the Wetterlings mini on hennie haynes for about £20. Without picking it up I am not sure of how good it is and was wondering if there were any owners out there.
Are there any other suggestions?

All info welcome

Alchemist

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
depends on your budget, but I'm sure I could make you something ;)

otherwise car booty or new cheap axe with a replacement handle of your own making would get the sizes that you are looking for. Those Argos axes were that weight but had longer handles (again, could replace easily enough)

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
hi i have a gb mini hatchet/pocket axe and i agree there rather expensive but once u use one u see y, very wel made and lovely to look at and will last forever so kind of pays for itself allso sharpen to a reel good edge. cheers ash

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
My Girlfriend brought me one of those Husky hachets for my Birthday and I love it....The Sheath took some cutting and restiching to make it fit properly but now it looks sweet (a few others on here have done the same i'm sure)

The blade was ground thinner than the GB axes i'v seen (well looked that way) and that might explain why on it's first outing (limibing a hawthorn) the edge got dinged ;(
since then it has been ground with a tiny little bevel and helped with carving a few spoons etc.....now it is perfect for my needs. It is just like a heavy knife as one guy put it.

Mojo

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I like the look of the Husqvarna hatchet, saw something very similar at a boot market last Friday for £6.00.
Good luck on your quest.

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Thanks guys. The Husqvarna does look very good for the price but it is a bit too long. I have a shoulder bag and I want something small that will fit in. 12.5" would be a maximum length.
I was thinking that if I could find a real bargain I could get something sooner. If I have to re grind an axe (like I did with the Argos one) and buy leather to make a sheath I would rather save some pennies and buy a complete package like a GB mini or something custom from Dave. I am going to keep looking out for a bargain for now.
All sugestions are welcome. Doesn't Mora do an axe?

PS- I used a store bought ******* file to reprofile my golok and Argos axe. Is a proper axe file any different or is the job just a pain in the neck anyway?

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi Alchemist
I have a Gransfors SFA, Wildlife Hatchet and Mini and my wife has the Husqvarna Hatchet
From your original post you said you wanted to do limbing,chopping kindling and spoon work.
SFA good for limbing and kindling passable for spoon work
Wildlife and Husqvarna hatchet passable for limbing, good for kindling and spoon work
Gransfors Mini Excellent for spoonwork, kindling needs to be batoned, would be dangerous to attempt limbing with it.
The reason for this is the lack of weight in the head and the length of handle, it is however excellent for carving and small tasks.
I have used mine as the main finishing tool in making a bow and it is excellent for small in the hand work
I think your best bet would be to decide what your main use would be and then save up and purchase the appropriate axe, the smaller the axe the more important the quality of the steel as you are dependant on the edge holding of the axe because it does not have the momentum of a heavier head to do the work for you.
It may be worth considering the Gransfors Hand Hatchet details below

http://www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk/acatalog/Axes.html

Jul 15, 2010
Sherwood Forest
I've been doing a spot of looking around for a smallish axe too.

I'm not sure if the GB mini axe you all refer to is the same one or not.

I came across this one on one of my many searches http://www.greenwood-direct.co.uk/default.cfm/loaddoc.253 The kubben by G&B
going by the measurements though there two different axes.

Maybe another one to add to your short list (no pun intended) Hope it helps

apologies if links aren't allowed

All the best

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi
as far as I am aware the two Gransfors Hand Hatchets described are the same axe.
They are in fact a Wildlife Hatchet head with a shorter handle
A comparison picture below of the SFA, Wildlife,Mini and Husqvarna Hatchet alongside Spyderco Bushcraft to give scale
4826714312_36da374645.jpg

Left to Right
Small Forest Axe
Wildlife Hatchet
Mini Hatchet
and on the right Husqvara Hatchet
I hope this helps

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
Thank you for the great info so far.
Chas, that is sound advice. I think I have a smaller idea of limbing than you! I reckon that what I am really looking for is a decent quality replacement for my Argos hatchet which is heavier than I would like. So thanks to some sound reasoning I am really looking for the Wildlife hatchet size. That Husqvarna hatchet looks really good for the price and it may be within an anniversary present budget! If it was 1" shorter it would fit nicely in my satchel.

Cheers all,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE