Minced beef jerky

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi all,

Following up on my dehydrating beef mince post I recently found an article on making minced beef jerky which is something I have never tried before.

Usually I will make biltong from a top or silverside joint but this seems like a much cheaper alternative.

The texture is a little different but I’m liking it so far.

I shot the footage about 2 months ago and only just got round to editing, I only bring it up as I vacuum sealed several packs of it and have been sampling them each week (for scientific purposes ) and so far no signs of spoiling.

It’s turning into a great little trail food and so simple and cheap to make.

All the best, Hamster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Jerky has to be the most common meat product, of any kind, for sale across North America = every grocery store and every gas (petrol) station.
1,001 recipes for cure and seasoning. I've never seen biltong anywhere.

Very nice display of how simple and convenient it is to make in your own kitchen, thank you.

Reactions: santaman2000
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Jerky has to be the most common meat product, of any kind, for sale across North America = every grocery store and every gas (petrol) station.
1,001 recipes for cure and seasoning. I've never seen biltong anywhere.

Very nice display of how simple and convenient it is to make in your own kitchen, thank you.

Just wait till my jerky gun arrives then I can really step up production (for personal use naturally )
I think it's such an uncommon thing over here I had the option between paying £115 on amazon uk for one or $40 from the US with $30 shipping and it still works out more than 50% cheaper.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Hope you like the pistol. Mine holds a pound/454g and squirts out a 3/4" wide strip 17' long (fills a double wire mesh cake rack.)
There's a cheap trail snack.

Maybe I said this before = there's a trick:
When you mix the meat & seasonings/cure for long enough, the texture will change from granular to meat-fiber stringy.
You can see it happen. Now, it really hangs together when you press it out thin.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hope you like the pistol. Mine holds a pound/454g and squirts out a 3/4" wide strip 17' long (fills a double wire mesh cake rack.)
There's a cheap trail snack.

Maybe I said this before = there's a trick:
When you mix the meat & seasonings/cure for long enough, the texture will change from granular to meat-fiber stringy.
You can see it happen. Now, it really hangs together when you press it out thin.

I discovered that by accident a few weeks ago, I was feeling lazy so chucked the mince in the mrs stand mixer and left it for longer than intended.

Your right about it being a complete texture change and it was something much more like the stuff you can by in packs in the supermarket - just nicer tasting and less chewy!

Reactions: Robson Valley
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
I have made a lot of biltong in the past but that is something I haven't done before I will be doing some soon thanks for the video.:encourage:

Same here, I only discovered it by accident when looking for some dehydrated mince ideas for the one pot meals I make up and vacuum seal for trips out.

It's definitely turning into my go to dried meat choice for both easiness and cost, as long as you don't mind the slightly different texture and having to rinse part way through it's a great budget option, also if anything you can pack in even more flavour than with biltong.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE