Millitary surplus kit

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I was just going through some photos, and came across these two from last August at the moot. Chris and I decided to have a night out on the Dunes, using some army surplus kit. A Czech army bedroll for me, and a French army bedroll for him, plus Polish army Laavu halves.
After finding a nice spot well off the beaten track, we were set up in under 5 minutes. This kit is really quick to deploy. There was a heavy shower of rain during the night, but we both stayed dry, warm and comfortable. I really like this old school kit, cheap reliable and bombproof. It can also be easily modified to suit individual needs. The weight is the downside, but it is not too bad.
The pics.

13620833_10209039284794987_7377788366405027928_n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

13879326_10209039284514980_1917406178450633564_n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
And as you said that's the good point of surplus its :
cheap reliable and bombproof. It can also be easily modified. The weight is only the downside, If you don't look at your other kit and just take want you are going to need or use.

spend most of my youth with this kit and up to my 30's. Still should use now as the expensive kit never seems to last

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
About the "bombproof"-ness of the gear, someone else has written it a lot better than i could have: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.be/2014/07/fabric-strength-and-durability-reality.html
And all very true as most of us realise......but that's not as far as it goes, for example a lot of synthetics become "brittle" over time, and then joining seams are weakened......how many synthetic tents does one see surviving 30 plus years?

There'll probably be thousands now on this thread. Horses for courses as ever....
A really robust and stable 1 man/gear tent for £20 (the lavvu)
adaptable sleeping bag and bivvy for £9....the Czech bedroll
super warm bag....£20 (Army M90 cold weather).......its not just about canvas or not, it's that ex military gear works, is tough, and can be cheap. This lot is not compact and light though....

For £30-£40 that's stuff that will stand up to just about anything??

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
I prefer to take more care of my gear though. I don't need my stuff to stand up to everything.

I just find that more people go the "things were all better in the old days", while they ignore that in the old days, they used the best available too.

I'm not saying military gear is bad gear, just that there's better out there. Just to give your example: how many canvas tents does one see surviving 30+ years without being cared for? It all depends on how well you take care of your gear. I've seen canvas packs eaten up by mold and moths after being in a closet for years (my father's old pack), while i still have the pack i used 15 years ago (gigantic nylon pack :p), which has seen use last year when a friend needed a pack and is still in great condition.

Is it cheap: depends. If you buy old stuff: yes. If you want something military surplus which is current: you'll pay the same you'd pay for civilian gear.

edit: I'd like to add, that from my viewpoint, weight is a very important factor. I have to carry my stuff everywhere. I don't go car camping. If i'm going somewhere, that means a day of walking before setting up camp. I prefer to do that with as little weight as possible as my budget allows. If you're car camping or walking for 10 km, sure, it wont matter :p.

Oh, and while hopefully here, people know about the actual vs percieved durability, i've seen the argument that i used in my previous post a lot: It's thick and heavy! Therefore it must be strong!

Last edited:

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
This wasn't meant to be an old v new type post. We just took ourselves off about 2k from our main camp to have a night on the dunes, to try out some old school kit, which performed admirably. I would not like to carry this kit far, but enjoy using it. I also have modern light weight kit that I use regularly. Cheap , cheerful and effective, was my point.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
One of the differences between bushcraft and hiking is how surplus is viewed. In my experience, most of it is heavy, bulky, uncomfortable, and often made to the cheapest spec (hence the often robust but heavy and outmoded materials). Its also often pretty knackered by the time it gets to the civvie market, and its often not exactly cheap compared with the civilian equivalent. Its also worth remembering that there is a thriving industry in modding, upgrading or outright replacement of issued equipment . If its that good, why would people who get it for free spend good money on replacing it?

Weight/comfort is very important to hikers - you dont have to be a gram counter to look at a surplus sleeping bag, softie jacket or rucksack to think that your money might be better spent on non surplus. Military gear is designed to put up with lots of punishment, but the average hiker has no need to carry stuff for weeks at a time, sleep in a ditch under fire, or carry a huge load, including ammo, etc. And although that natural materials vibe is suitable for some, if it means carrying 5kg extra for 30miles uphile, most will chose something else.

Put it this way - no hiker is going to buy a Lavvu, and although the Carinthia sleep systems are popular with the military and bushcrafters, you'll be hard pressed to find one sold by hiking shops for the civvie market.

Its whatever the person wants, and whatever suits. I have to admit I've still got a cheapish basic rucksack from about 1991 which is perfectly usable. The inside waterproofing might have delaminated a bit, but it will do the job, and is fairly similar to one of these things https://www.cnfoutdoors.co.uk/pro-force-trooper-65-olive-rucksack?gclid=CI3B2p7K8c8CFdMV0wodVKgKUQ - there is really no 'back system' to speak of, but its certainly not brittle.

On the other hand, pretty much all the surplus stuff I've bought over the years has ended up in the loft, emergency car kit, or off to Oxfam. And those canvas bags with the metal strap ends were always a pain.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Experience with old kit is the yardstick by which we measure the new.

Lighter is nicer that's always been true but durability or rather the reliability and peace of mind that comes with it of over engineered kit is the other side of the coin.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
One of the differences between bushcraft and hiking is how surplus is viewed. In my experience, most of it is heavy, bulky, uncomfortable, and often made to the cheapest spec (hence the often robust but heavy and outmoded materials). Its also often pretty knackered by the time it gets to the civvie market, and its often not exactly cheap compared with the civilian equivalent. Its also worth remembering that there is a thriving industry in modding, upgrading or outright replacement of issued equipment . If its that good, why would people who get it for free spend good money on replacing it? BEING VERY NEW TO ALL OF THIS INITIALLY WHAT ATTRACTED ME WAS THAT TO ME IT WAS CHEAP AND WORKED WELL

Weight/comfort is very important to hikers - (BUT WEIGHT/BULK, AS I SAID, NOT TO ME CANOEING. I WOULDN'T HIKE FOR DAYS WITH SOME OF IT ON MY BACK......MIND YOU I USED TO AS A YOOF....I'M NOW 60) you dont have to be a gram counter to look at a surplus sleeping bag, softie jacket or rucksack to think that your money might be better spent on non surplus. Military gear is designed to put up with lots of punishment, but the average hiker has no need to carry stuff for weeks at a time, sleep in a ditch under fire, or carry a huge load, including ammo, etc. And although that natural materials vibe is suitable for some, if it means carrying 5kg extra for 30miles uphile, most will chose something else.

Put it this way - no hiker is going to buy a Lavvu, (MANY DO IT SEEMS.....) and although the Carinthia sleep systems are popular with the military and bushcrafters, you'll be hard pressed to find one sold by hiking shops for the civvie market. (COULD IT BE THAT ITS NOT KNOWN IN THAT MARKET, BIGGER MARGINS SELLING THE LATEST GEAR? I DON'T KNOW..... NO, YOURE RIGHT, NOT FOR HIKERS)

Its whatever the person wants, and whatever suits. (SO TRUE) I have to admit I've still got a cheapish basic rucksack from about 1991 which is perfectly usable. The inside waterproofing might have delaminated a bit, but it will do the job, and is fairly similar to one of these things https://www.cnfoutdoors.co.uk/pro-force-trooper-65-olive-rucksack?gclid=CI3B2p7K8c8CFdMV0wodVKgKUQ - there is really no 'back system' to speak of, but its certainly not brittle.
(I STILL HAVE A 40YR OLD SLEEPING BAG IN IMMAC CONDITION FROM WHEN I WAS 21, SYNTHETIC. BLACKS HIGHLAND)

On the other hand, pretty much all the surplus stuff I've bought over the years has ended up in the loft, emergency car kit, or off to Oxfam. And those canvas bags with the metal strap ends were always a pain.

As you say, it all depends on what suits :)
My choice is if possible......?? to sleep under canvas. If possible.

-Should also explain that the addenda above in capitals, are mine.............

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE