"Military" Trangias

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hello folks!

I keep seeing these "military" trangias knocking about online around the 12 quid mark.
Few questions...

1 They look nice and small. Do they fit in PCLE pouches?
2 Can the nice looking hook arrangement be used as a billy can type thing?
3 Does it really all pack down into itself, including the fuel bottle?
4 Does anyone have / can they take some detailed pics?

Cheers

:D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hello folks!

I keep seeing these "military" trangias knocking about online around the 12 quid mark.
Few questions...

Cheers

:D

Works well with an open fire, but are slow when using meths when compared to a real Trangia set and they are quite heavy for what they are. Great for boil in the bag/brew/noodles etc. In cold weather insulate the burner from the ground or it will burn even slower. Don't expect too much from them, but they are robust and a good cheap setup

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Army-Meths-sw...goryZ588QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
(no connection to seller)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Yeah, i love my regular T 27, but i wanted something smaller for when im not carrying a lot of kit, or when i'm lugging camera gear.

Thanks for the tips Rik.. :)

To be honest, the military stove is not much smaller in overall volume than a 27 but you can use it on an open fire more easily

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com

Yes.

Yes

Yes.

Search, for Swedish Military trangia.
Here are some of mine
http://www.flickr.com/photos/80049703@N00/1349543375/

Nick

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Being a bit of a stove monkey I have one of these fellas
You can pick them up cheaper than £ 12 in p&P
They are a wee bit heavy for me tbh
Think about it what are you going to do with it ?
I do and never take it out
I might take that much kit for 3 people but any less i would use gas and I use stoves as secondary to a fire
But saying that they sure work well
This probably didnt help !!!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Being a bit of a stove monkey I have one of these fellas
You can pick them up cheaper than £ 12 in p&P
They are a wee bit heavy for me tbh
Think about it what are you going to do with it ?
I do and never take it out
I might take that much kit for 3 people but any less i would use gas and I use stoves as secondary to a fire
But saying that they sure work well
This probably didnt help !!!

You can't cook for three people with one of these?

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
i have one of the military trangias. they are dirt cheap (looking at one on ebay for a fiver right now) you need to be a bit more "creative" in using them, than the 25 or 27. its about the same size, more or less as a 27, but not as effective. but for the money, you just cant go wrong!
one thing though, maybe someone else can shed some extra info on this. the burner which came with the mili trangia was larger than the civilian one, and burned less hot. also, the replacement rubber rings for trangias didn't fit the mili trangia. bit of a pain.

bottom line; they are not as good as the civilian ones, but they are fully usable for general camping/ bushcraft for 1-2 people. and they are cheap. was fine for me when my budget was tight.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
cheap and cheerful, they work but they're heavy for what they are, and the bigger burner takes a longer time and more fuel to heat it up to the point where fuel is vaporised. The upside is that it's bombproof and dependable.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
I have many years of use of these and have even teach the use and history of them on some of our courses here. During the WEISS course we wven used these as water bottles since the mess kit was the only thing we had.

On your third question, Yes it all packs down in it. In the army you pack everything you need to cook and eat your food in it. But I would no carry my meths in it, if it leaks your dinner can taste very bad. Best is to get a one of Trangias safetybottles, they are really good and will not leak.

I tried to find some pictures, since I have a lot of detailed pics and instructions on how to pack it the best way somewhere on my computer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE