Mild weather confusing wildlife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
Just come across half of a pigeons egg shell. Looks fresh.
Have they stared breeding already? Has the very mild winter confused our wildlife?

Any one else seen signs that indicate a lack of winter or early spring?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pigeons are a bit weird; they can breed at any time they seem confident of enough food, but I agree, I do think the mild weather is confusing things too.
Bees and butterflies are still about, rasps, brambles and strawberries are all still producing flower and fruits. The Spring bulbs are coming through weeks early. I've got mallows, roses, primroses, fuchsias, calendula, all flowering long past their usual time and I saw a blackbird with a beakful of nest material yesterday too. I don't think I like the idea of no real *seasons* :(

cheers,
Toddy

Reactions: bambodoggy

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Not altogether off topic but i have noticed the christmas lights confusing birds. Especially the larger lights that some business's have out. Poor things are still tweeting away at 1am .

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
All the spring bulbs I planted last month are coming up already, not to mention that the strawberries are still trying to fruit. We also have some daffodils in pots on the patio that are getting ready to flower! :eek: .

It really is weird. I know we haven't had a proper winter for years but this is ridiculous.

leon-1

I have just lost the last rose of a bush in the garden, but my neigbours have still got loads flowering and it was only a week ago that I saw a bumble bee.

The animals are not the only confused things, I am looking out the window on a beautifull day with a lovely clear blue sky:confused:, it's not normally this clear in summer:D

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
Our pampas grass has flowered this last week for the first time since it went in in '93.
I assume the pale flag like bits are flowers.
I like these long Summers and mild Winters. If we could only get the clocks sorted to give us more evening light in Winter.

S

Selous

(Into Grumpy Old Man mode...) When I were a lad, I can remember at least two or three rugby matches a year being called off because of frost: the ground was so hard it was dangerous. I can't remember the last time there was a genuine frost here in Wharfedale. And my kids are telling me it is cold!!!

I've no idea whether it's human beings who've caused global warming or not, but there's no doubt it's happening.

G

Glade

Nobody has mentioned trees yet - are they also confused or they entering the winter in their normal state?

ilan

Nomad
Feb 14, 2006
bromley kent uk
This i think will prove a bigger problem than we realise for many organisms are inter dependant and if the life cycles go out of kilter then it will prove devistating and the effects will be seen in a short period . for instance a heavy covering of snow will insulate the ground from a heavy frost so hard frosts before the snow can cause a lot of damage . I think there was a program on the radio about this in America there has been a reported loss of over 70% in some species of insects due to earlier flowering of plants catching out the plant specific bugs

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Weird...its like we dont have winters anymore. Great for kipping out but a disaster for our nations wildlife...I fear for the future.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Do animals actually have a concept of seasons and the passage of time, or do they just do what feels right? - eg, would squirrels eat and store nuts in january if they happened to come out then?

leon-1

dommyracer said:
Do animals actually have a concept of seasons and the passage of time, or do they just do what feels right? - eg, would squirrels eat and store nuts in january if they happened to come out then?

Mate I had 2 squirrels playing in my garden yesterday, they then went and raided the bird feeder:rolleyes:. I know they are a pest, but these 2 seem to be a real pair of characters:D

Jan 22, 2006
uk
after watching Planet Earth- the future, its pretty depressing stuff. no arctic ice within 50years, and full retreat of the ice in the 'summers' there within 30 years.
unbelievable to think that we could be saying 'i remember when there was ice on the north pole'
it makes you wonder if it is actually happening as quickly as we're being told it is, in a kind of shock/disbelieving way...and what they hell can anyone do about it in that time? no chance, unfortunately. although, on the optamistic side its change, not the end!
now where did i leave those water wings....

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
I would just like to give a winter update. We have had a frost! the first one since August. So with any luck that will give some of these confused plants and animals a bit of a hint as to what time of year it is.

W

Wibbl

They should carry calenders :p

Imagian a world without icecaps, the sea level would rise alot. If the sea level rises too much london will be flooded too.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wibbl said:
Imagian a world without icecaps, the sea level would rise alot. If the sea level rises too much london will be flooded too.

Yes, but it wouldn't be all good news you know ;) :D

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
I sometimes wonder at the arrogance that assumes that man is the cause of, or able to have significany impact, on global warming.

A few years ago we were being told that an Ice Age was coming. Now it seems it will be a Hot Age. Ice caps will melt, low ground will flood, London disappears (hopefully that will happen without warning and drown Westminster during PM's question time) but why worry? This Londoner lives in the Midlands halfway up one side of the Birmingham Plateau.
My kids and grandkids will find the appropriate technology to cope, and I won't be here. The world always changes. The average Victorian wouldn't recognise the modern world, and who besides the Norfolk guy in the 17th/18th century believed that a 4 crop rotation would lead to a surplus of food and an Industrial Revolution.
I believe that if we worried less about 'The Planet' and more about directly helping each other we would all be happier.

I have a simple rule of thumb about all things green: let Jonathan Porritt do the worrying and I'll enjoy myself. Try it; it works.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE