Midge Jacket Recommendation Please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
A 2 night fishing trip on Loch Awe coming up.

A particularly bothersome and overwhelming clan of wee beasties regularly make us very uncomfortable.

Any recommendations for a good midge-proof jacket? head veil works well, but sometimes it is just not enough when I don't want to be confined to shelter.

rorymax

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I've got 4 in total from 2 different 'brands', 2 are Beatons Midge jackets and they are great and in 2 years owning and heavily using 2 i have had to make small sewing repairs to underarm seams (prob a lot to do with roughly pulling on and off over clothing repeatedly) and one of the sleeves, i also have 2 i bought from ebay and they are also awesome but get used less due to the Beatons, the main win win Beatons has over others i've used is that the hood and face and facial access is different in that the mesh over the face is black (the rest is light brown) and your brain quickly deregisters it and you see straight through it, the zipper allows you to open up the whole face and still wear it like a hoody but i find this also works great to pop your head out fully and pull the zip tight around your neck under your chin, all in small differences but the seeing through the face area really makes a difference, all in very little difference in price between either of the ones i bought, great bits of kit that weigh next to nowt and compress down almost as small as a headnet

Willcurrie

Aug 2, 2015
Argyll
Got a beatons one too but don't use it too often, I've developed a system of covering up with hat and buff plus plenty of smidge. At the moment the dry spell is keeping the midges down to a minimum but that can change in a matter of minutes here. Loch awe midges have a fearsome rep!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE