Micarta help needed! Ideas anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
OK... so i've got my hands on a bar of Micarta 5.5cm x 33cm...initially this was for a knife handle HOWEVER i have since got a knife that i'm very happy with and don't really feel the need for another just yet :rolleyes:

Any ideas what i can do with it??? :confused:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Any ideas what i can do with it???

You mean other than sell it or trade it? :confused:
What colour is it, and what thickness? Depending on what it is I might even be interested in relieving you of its burden ;)

Otherwise...hmmm. It has lots of uses in home workshops for tooling, rests, supports, mounts, insulation, and so forth. You could just hang on to it for the day when you want to put a handle on another knife. You might get a stainless blade and want a synthetic handle to match.

I dunno, but if all else failes you could make a really high tech bow drill bearing block :D

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
its as measured below (although at closer inspection i'd actualy say it was closer to 5cm wide) circular/bar in shape... dark mahagony brown... if i don't find any use for it i may well sell/trade it... not really looking at a new knife just yet, so depends what ideas come my way really :)

When you say thickness, is there some sort of density rating? or is it just me who reads highly on that lol

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
woodmunky said:
When you say thickness, is there some sort of density rating? or is it just me who reads highly on that lol

I think he was assuming it was a flat rectangular slab rather than a bar (as I did).

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
micarta.jpg

tada

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I'd hang onto it in your box of "bits that I may use sometime". Failing that swap it or sell it, or give it away at a meet.

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
It's big enough to use for more than one thing i imagine... i'm seriously keen to use it, but not sure how lol

it's staying safe in the "box" for now i believe... seems like something worth hanging onto :)

Anything other than a knife worth making out of it? to be honest i can get two knives out of it as it is! so may cut down and save half for a knife and half for "something else" :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
wow :cool:

I did think that it was a rectangular bar. That could make an interesting handle for a hidden tang knife, particularly a big bowie, its big enough. Which way do the laminations run?

Can't think of anything I would use round bar for, but then my workshop tooling is still limited.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
How about making a few tags for stuff, like folk have on their keyrings. My wifes' keys, for instance, have all sorts of crap hanging off of them, it's a wonder she can lift them!! Little round tags may look cool though, might be the next new thing taking over from those diddy karabiners! If it does, you heard it here first and I want a cut of the profits!!

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
By'jo spamel you might be onto something! :)

Decided to save half for a future (F1 blade proj) later next year, gonna see what i can carve with it over xmas :) the results will most def be on here!

Tipi

Jun 14, 2006
Wondering Wizard, UK
how bout a match box, kind of like the K&M ons only in micarta not brass or alu
i like the tag idea, if u had a dremmel or summet similar u could engrave names or patterns in to them
if its long enough what about a priest for dispaching (sp?) game
whistle? dont know if u can carve micarta, but i have made some wooden and antler whistles.
other than that i dont know

tp

ps what bout a meat tenderiser? :lmao:

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
penvisser said:
Can't you make a fire piston out of it?

Jan

Tipi said:
how bout a match box, kind of like the K&M ons only in micarta not brass or alu
game whistle? dont know if u can carve micarta, but i have made some wooden and antler whistles.

I like all of these ideas.

Of course, the real question is where did you get a piece like that from anyway?

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
I picked it up off evilbay in search of a small knife lol some guy having a garage clearout from the looks of it, just grabbed my attention and wanted it :)

Gotta admit, i'm leaning towards the tag idea, reckon i could get a fair few tags out of it...

Believe me this thing could certainly work as a meat tenderiser too lol it weighs a ton!

I shall most def be keeping pics posted of my micartaesque ventures :) def leaving a chunk for a future knife proj though...

anyone know where i can find some carving / dremmel tutorials?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE