MFH crusader bergen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I do not own this rucksack but all items I bought from this maker did fall in pieces after a couple of weeks of continuous use.

They write BW, German Army, what ever.
In fact they do NOT deliver to the Deutsche Bundeswehr !

Call this how you want.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
This is the original one:

And this is the newer model.

They are made in China too, but the Atlas IV is used like this in the German Army Special Forces KSK.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If you look for an olive green rucksack, don't want a used military surplus version or a new Rucksack that is made according to NATO specifications, you should have a look at ESSL Rucksacks. Designed in Austria and made in Czechia, they aren't issued but allowed to use in the Austrian Army.

I guess they will not last as long as NATO issued nylon rucksacks, but these polyurethane coated polyester fabric rucksacks are made in a robust build quality.

They are cheaper than rucksacks in NATO quality, because they use cheaper and less tough materials, but they are originals, real ones, not bad copies of the patterns of other makers like the rucksack you asked about.

And Austrians know of course how to construct a rucksack. Essel has two factories. The factory in Austria makes special stuff, the regular stuff they make in the own factory in Czechia.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The Dutch Sting rucksack is a cheap option too. If you buy it from a trusty seller you surely will make a good deal:

There is also a Dutch army version of the Lowe Alpin Saracen on the market which is really large if you look for such a volume. Some of these rucksacks had been made by Lowe Alpine, some had been made in a licensed other factory in a similar quality.

Last edited:

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Theres quite a good review on Mil 1st:
This is a perfectly good, usable backpack, but not quite what I had expected. Military spec? Not in a million years. I have genuine ex-Army Northern Ireland Patrol Pack, and you can't compare the two when it comes to quality. As I said, it's a good backpack, albeit with some strange design features (or even flaws), like the straps on top aren't long enough to accommodate a roll mat The zips for the side pouches should've been sewn in upside down, to prevent them from creeping down and the biggest mystery for me is the fabric they used on the shoulder straps and back area. Normally you would expect some heavy-duty padded webbing, here they used some thin, shiny blouse-type fabric. Not only will this not stand up to rough usage and moisture, I can also see this being extremely sweaty. The overall stitching also looks rather flimsy to me.

On the plus side: it is lined inside, so should provide some resistance to water and it's a good, usable size. The detachable pouches that could then be used as a daypack, feels a bit gimmicky to me, but I suppose it's a useful feature.

A couple of weeks in the wilderness will show for definite whether this is all it's cracked up to be. I have my doubts, but we'll see.

Would I recommend it? I haven't found the perfect backpack, yet, and I've been searching for years. You get a lot of backpack for your money, for sure. For what you get, the price is reasonable. I wouldn't consider it a waste of money, but what I would say is consider other options.
Review by Old Man of the Woods
Posted on 09/09/2020

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The buyer above obviously gave his first impression after he opened the box.

I see a lot of Miltec and MFH rucksacks in German towns with opening seams. They simply fall in pieces, even if they are not loaded with trekking equipment.

Brandit is another of these brands that sell low quality stuff in army stile.

To buy such stuff means to throw money out of the window. Every Aldi outdoor equipment is made in a better quality.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE