Methods of coping with stress......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
I find every so often I need to get away and find some solitude (time out from the work & the kids). I like to go for a walk by myself find somewhere to sit and watch the world go by.

A few years back I took up fishing again and found that sitting by the river for a few hours was so peaceful, in fact sometimes not even casting a line;) Now I just take myself and my brew kit, make a brew and switch off for a while and whittle of do some leatherwork.

Richard

Dunno if it's relevant but I had a lecture on Post Traumatic Stress Disorder recently that was enough to give you PTSD.......

I find the escape to the woods, light a fire and have a brew does wonders for me, even sitting with my back against a tree, brew in hand watching the wildlife sooths me

Sometimes I have the need to just stop and look at something that makes me reevaluate my perspective on things, a sort of re-orientating of the inner compass of life.

Failing that, I just get roaring drunk with friends.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i can't get out that often, when i do its a nice long walk up an odd mountain which is jolly nice.
other times i get to play airsoft, which is just a bunch of adults dressed in full combat kit shooting at each other in the woods, although again i haven't been able to go much recently so i've been immersing myself in computer games. bits here bits there, things like morrowind and fallout 3 but my fave has got to be Silent Hunter 3.
its a WW2 submarine sim, its heavily modded (there is an excellent modding community out there) with new sounds, graphics, maps, ships, more traffic, realistic effects etc.
very immersive!

this is a demo of the game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC4uitxWtjc

and this is an excellent fan film by one of the subsim forum members ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-aoj-kWazs

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Thank you, everyone, for your kind words of welcome. In answer to Malente’s very valid question, you are quite right. I may well return from a trip to the woods de-stressed, but I am just as powerless as I was when I set out.

But I don’t feel that way. I feel as though I have the power not to be a part of the modern world and all its silliness. I may not have the power to end war, or poverty, or injustice, but I have the power not to conform. And I do have the power, in some tiny way, to make the world a better place.

For some time, whenever I have gone out in my canoe, I have made a point of bringing home a sack of rubbish. Last year I planted four acorns and half a dozen crab apple seeds. They are flourishing now in pots in my back garden. This year I intend to grow elder, rowan and hazel. Will such a tiny thing as this make the world a better place? I don’t know, but it can’t do any harm.

I am sure there are many who believe that the world is run by the wrong people, who make the wrong decisions and are motivated by the wrong principles, and that there is absolutely nothing that anyone can do to change it. Perhaps it is time to stop trying. Perhaps, after all, I have been wrong all this time. Perhaps I should just take a step back and watch the modern world go on ahead, then turn and walk the other way.

For those of us who follow the generally solitary trail of the bushcrafter, it is good that we should meet in the electronic crossing of the ways and exchange ideas and philosophies. The Internet and forums such as this are one of the advantages that technology has brought us. In a way it empowers us all the more.

Lovely post, but I disagree that we do not have the power to change these things even alone. God honest true story this...
I remember when I was at school I was bullied through secondary school and on the way there there was these kids who always threw stones at me or jeered me when I walked passed. One day in my final year when I was 15 a small boy aged 10 sidled up next to me, I thought he was calling me names so I turned my walkman up and walked faster , but when I looked I saw he was smiling and chatting to me. He began walking to school with me everyday just chatting about life in general, and being 15 I felt a bit embarrassed!
After a couple of weeks he said the real reason he was walking to school with me was because for as long as he could remember (the past 5 years infact) he had watched me going passed his house and get bullied. He said he had always wanted to do something about it and had sat at his window for years watching me run this gauntlet every weekday. He said he wasnt big enough to confront the boys and he could not get them to stop throwing stones so in the end he decided the best thing to do was to go to school with me so I wasnt the only one having stones thrown at me. That touched me deeper than anything I can say. He was only ten lived on some run down council estate and he didnt have to do anything amazing to change how I saw the world. You can do alot to change the world - you just have to change it for one person.
In some of our conversations he told me how a boy had moved next door who was in a wheelchair and could not talk, he had to point to alphabet letters. He said he felt sorry for the boy and didnt know how to be himself around him. I told him just to relax and introduced himself. I saw him again a few weeks later and he said how he was friends with the boy and after school each day he pushed him round the streets in the wheelchair. The boy had signed with the alphabet board that no kid had ever tried to be his friend before, so I guess he changed that boys life to.
In other escapades he went looking for a rapist in the woods who tried to snatch one of his friends and the police brought him home but gave him a button as a medal. Then he was in a car crash and knocked all his front teeth out. He joined secondary school as I was leaving. I wonder what he is doing now.
So next time you think you can't do anything about the modern world, just help someone out who needs it ;)

Kikatito

Jun 15, 2009
S. Lanarkshire
i wish i knew the answer to this right now, Had a totally rubbish week in work....... :(

i feel a wee overnight trip tomorrow coming on tomorrow, or at least a trek up ben lomond..or something..just to get away

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
All is wrong with the world. I think that is one of the main causes of stress. But people like ourselves, who practice arts such as bushcraft, have a distinct advantage over most other people – we possess the means of escape. It does not matter whether we disappear into the woods for a whole month or just an afternoon, we can break away from the stresses of the modern world and return to our primitive past. And when we do this, we find that whatever may happen, whatever misfortunes may befall our society, even if the worst comes to the worst we can not merely survive, we can even prosper.

Speaking for myself, one of the major causes of stress in my life is a feeling of powerlessness; that the world is all wrong but that there is nothing that I can do to put it right, and that the people we employ to put it right are utterly incompetent to do so.

I cannot tell you why I go into the woods. Perhaps it is the ‘lure of little voices’, as Shackleton put it. Whatever the reason, I am drawn by some mysterious and irresistible magnetism.

When I set out, my mind is full of trivial clutter and I find myself conducting absurd subconscious arguments with people who do not exist, about things that have never happened.

But gradually my mind clears. Each step takes me farther from the world of the common day; farther from gas bills and microwave ovens; farther from technology and that illusion that is called progress. The din of civilisation fades, to be replaced by the song of Nature. Suddenly, the crunch of gravel underfoot becomes the sweetest music; the yaffle of the woodpecker the most eloquent poetry; the rustle of leaves the most stirring symphony.

The trail leads us between a tall stand of villainous pines, but we ignore them and fix our eye upon the point far ahead where the track vanishes into the great wild woods. We have not yet quite left the outside world, but the creak of pack straps and the clank of mess tins draw us ever farther away.

Then we enter the woods. The sun is obscured by the canopy and all is green – thousands of different shades of green. But this is not an alien world to us. We have learned to live in this world. It has given up its secrets to us. See that tree over there? Time was when we should have marvelled at such a tree, and wondered what it was; and we would have been astounded by its colossal size, its bizarre shape, its extraordinary spiral bark. We marvel still, but now we can identify this tree. We can tell if it was planted or whether it grew here naturally. We can even make a reasonable estimation of its age.

The monologues in our mind have adapted to this change in environment. We are no longer discussing pay-as-you-go rates, but that browsing roe deer at the edge of the ride up ahead. We congratulate ourselves for having moved so softly over the earth that it is unaware of our presence.

It is time to eat now. We find a fallen tree that will serve as our dining table and we scrape away at the ground with our boot to make our oven. Soon, the kettle is singing merrily on the tiny fire. As we munch on our meal and sip our scalding tea, we may be drawn momentarily back to the real world, but this does not last. An hour has passed and there is work to do. It is time to be up and away.

The fire is out; the embers burnt away to cinders, the cinders soaked and crushed into a thin grey paste. The site of our fire is invisible beneath the leaf litter, and only a few flattened blades of grass betray the fact that any human being has ever set foot here.

We shoulder our load, and as we move on the world of the common day is long forgotten. We have a full belly, a comfortable load and a verdant trail stretching out before us. We belong here now, just as all the other animals and plants belong here. It is as if we have always been here. We know of no other world than this.

As the afternoon wears on we begin to search for a place to camp. We find a little patch of grass in the middle of a stand of oak saplings. Perhaps it is raining now, but in no time we are lounging in our hammock, the tarp above our head shedding little silver trails of water that drip-drip-drip onto the luxuriant grass beneath us.

In the evening the rain stops and the sun comes out. Smoke rising from the dying fire mingles with the vapours rising out of the wet earth and is bisected by the shafts of sunlight as it coils around the branches and twigs above our head.

The sky darkens. All around us are strange noises and grotesque shadows. To some people this would be a place of such utter abomination that they would prefer to spend a night in the most haunted of haunted houses. But we are not frightened by this other-worldliness. We are at home here. Sheltering beneath the green vault of our tarp we are more snug and secure than if we were stretched out on a four-poster bed beneath the domes and turrets of some splendid palace.

The first stars appear as we lounge in our hammock, staring dreamily up at the balsamic moon. The world of the common day is far away. The stress has gone. We have become part of the woods. As a glistening orb drips from a leaf and falls with a hiss into the embers of the dying fire, we close our eyes. All is well with the world.

Yeah, i was just about to say that!

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
There's always someone worse off than you! That's the first thing to remember.
Lot's of people don't even know what beauty and tranquillity there is to be found in our countryside, they just drive thru or by it from one city to another in a constant rat race. We on the other hand know what can be found if we take the time to see it. . So we ARE lucky.

As has been mentioned having a brew by a tree in the woods while listening to birdsong and watching the flames dance as they lap the base of the water pot has to be one of the most calming experiences there is.
So for me, a treeside brew some birdsong and (tho not too P.C or fashionable) a pipeful of anything with Latakia in it puts me in exactly the right frame of mind.

Just my thoughts. .

Kev

Ishmael

May 4, 2009
Somewhere They Can't Find Me
Lovely post, but I disagree that we do not have the power to change these things even alone. God honest true story this...
I remember when I was at school I was bullied through secondary school and on the way there there was these kids who always threw stones at me or jeered me when I walked passed. One day in my final year when I was 15 a small boy aged 10 sidled up next to me, I thought he was calling me names so I turned my walkman up and walked faster , but when I looked I saw he was smiling and chatting to me. He began walking to school with me everyday just chatting about life in general, and being 15 I felt a bit embarrassed!
After a couple of weeks he said the real reason he was walking to school with me was because for as long as he could remember (the past 5 years infact) he had watched me going passed his house and get bullied. He said he had always wanted to do something about it and had sat at his window for years watching me run this gauntlet every weekday. He said he wasnt big enough to confront the boys and he could not get them to stop throwing stones so in the end he decided the best thing to do was to go to school with me so I wasnt the only one having stones thrown at me. That touched me deeper than anything I can say. He was only ten lived on some run down council estate and he didnt have to do anything amazing to change how I saw the world. You can do alot to change the world - you just have to change it for one person.
In some of our conversations he told me how a boy had moved next door who was in a wheelchair and could not talk, he had to point to alphabet letters. He said he felt sorry for the boy and didnt know how to be himself around him. I told him just to relax and introduced himself. I saw him again a few weeks later and he said how he was friends with the boy and after school each day he pushed him round the streets in the wheelchair. The boy had signed with the alphabet board that no kid had ever tried to be his friend before, so I guess he changed that boys life to.
In other escapades he went looking for a rapist in the woods who tried to snatch one of his friends and the police brought him home but gave him a button as a medal. Then he was in a car crash and knocked all his front teeth out. He joined secondary school as I was leaving. I wonder what he is doing now.
So next time you think you can't do anything about the modern world, just help someone out who needs it ;)

Thank you for that, Firecrest. It is an inspirational story. To read of such acts of kindness and compassion makes it all worthwhile. The word hero is over-used these days, but I think it can justifiably be applied to that young lad. Reading some of the other posts on this thread made me realise how easy it is to be one the six billion people on the earth and yet feel all alone.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Superb thread . I used to get stressed out far too much by trying to make my employers happy .I then worked out that they didnt have the ability to be happy so gave up trying . What a difference that made, No more weekend working / unrealistic workloads / bad attitude = No stress .
There is a saying "The willing horse gets all the work" and its true , they just move on to some other poor sucker .

Woodland has magical unexplained quality to it and I try to surround myself in it as often as possible .:)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Like a lot here I deal with stress badly, so I took up road running and find that all the day's stress vanish by mile three, leaving me to enjoy the rest of the run filled with the joy of being out in the country suddound by trees and birds, Even when it rains, there is always something special about being outside.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Superb thread . I used to get stressed out far too much by trying to make my employers happy .I then worked out that they didnt have the ability to be happy so gave up trying . What a difference that made, No more weekend working / unrealistic workloads / bad attitude = No stress .
There is a saying "The willing horse gets all the work" and its true , they just move on to some other poor sucker .

Woodland has magical unexplained quality to it and I try to surround myself in it as often as possible .:)

Yes that reminds me of another wise saying

"But heres the one that's driving me beserk. Why do only fools and horses work?"
:lmao:

Purdy Bear

Jun 5, 2009
SE London
Heres a few Iv learnt over the years:

1. The importance of breath - even deep breathing can calm you down instantly.

2. Meditation, meditation, meditation - a wonderful skill, I highly recommend it to all. It not only relaxes the body, mind and spirit, but can help with some medical conditions.

3. Exercise - take a break away from the stress, do some stretches. Yoga and Callenetics Iv found to be the best for me.

4. Learn to laugh at everything including yourself.

5. Watch your mind set, keep it positive.

6. Learn to love self, and thus self acceptance and self respect. This will stop the twits who think they can mess your about, from thinking they can!

7. Have time for you only, wether its tinkering in the shed, or sitting on a river bank, we all need personal time.

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
1. The importance of breath - even deep breathing can calm you down instantly.

2. Meditation, meditation, meditation - a wonderful skill, I highly recommend it to all. It not only relaxes the body, mind and spirit, but can help with some medical conditions.

Absolutely.

Remember that the most important activity you carry out is breathing. You're alive and that's what it is all about. The word spirit is bound up with the word breath.

Just count your breaths up to, say, twenty and start again. Just watch your breaths. Breath from the abdomen. Let the mind relax - only count the breaths. Don't try and control your breaths, just observe them. If your mind wanders away, just bring it gently back. Don't get hang up on any thought, thoughts come and go like clouds passing in the sky.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Think outside your self.

Carve wood. ;)

totem4b.jpg

stretch3144

Feb 3, 2009
North Tawton, Devon
Alcohol! Just kidding. when I came back from the Gulf a few years back I hit the bottle quite hard and it wasn't until a good friend mentioned it to me several weeks' later that I realised what a problem it was becoming.
Nowadays, I just like to get away from work, chill out at home on the sofa with a good "Shoot em' up" on the PS3.....funny how all the characters look like my boss....!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE