Metal Spinning your own Billys, Mugs etc

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
A chap who works in my Dads industrial unit does this for a living. - Quite a skill in it.

Certainly worth a go if you have the right equipment.

Andy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I mind seeing it done as a demo at the Modern Homes Exhibition in the Kelvin Hall, years ago.
Fascinating to watch :D
The fellow sold a lot of pots too :cool:

cheers,
M

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Cant help but wonder where the metal all goes!

Can that really be that easy?

Wonder if I can do it in the kitchen....

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I've spun before its hard work but can produce some really good results. Never done it on a metal lathe as you'll have to make a special tool post as well as your tools and i have somewhere in the back of my head that there is a problem with torque/speed on metal lathes rather than spinning lathes.

start small and with anealed aluminium let us know how you get on. My head of department would have my hide (too much risk apparently)!!!

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Risk is if the disc loosens, as there would be no hole in the disc before spinning. I will do it with a hole first. I will also make a support for the tail stock. Of course this is if I ever get time to do all the stuff and all the other work........

Last edited:

Gweedo

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
Wales
Stainless will be very hard to work. You're best off starting with a piece of thin annealed copper or brass which will be much easier to work. I've used wooden formers, but as stated above, proper tools would be better.

Good Luck!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE