Messing around with candles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Test tubes might be ideal but i wouldnt know where to start with cutting. ive seen it done on a lathe but i dont have one. Anyhow ive ordered some bottles to make an oil version so watch this space.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Well my little bottles have arrived and fit in a cartridge perectly. I need to reduce wick size a little as all I had was some cotton ripe which burned rather big. The Kevlar couldn't take the heat either so I will need a new suspension method. It burned for 15 minutes on 3ml of citronella but I think I'll be able to get an hour out of it with a smaller wick. It looks funky though so I'm happy

06434b8c.jpg

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
On the original, wax version, am I right in thinking that once the wax melts the whole thing falls apart and covers your tent with burning, molten wax?

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
No once the wax melts it just goes out. The stainless mesh makes a very strong friction fit with the ferrules. That said, I wouldn't put one of these anywhere near the inside of my tent.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
neat trick, good to practice at home before going out and watching it not work :)

(as usually happens with me, cause they do not like me experimenting in the block in case I burn it down, or set off the fire alarm) :)

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Right I've refined them a little. Reduced the size of wick and the aperture. Rather than remove the firing cap, I drilled it. This let me fit the smaller cotton wick but retain a seal to keep the capillary action going. It also let me utilise the full 7ml capacity of the bottles.

Here are some pics of the components and lit

I'll let you know how long they burn

f5ab6fe1.jpg

bf7a5c11.jpg

fb178610.jpg

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
That awesome Paul, is it still burning the citronella oil?
What sort of bur times have you got?
My Ihustler turned up friday, Iphone 4s is charging a treat :You_Rock_
All the best
Steve

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I got an hour off 7ml which is pretty good. Im going to use some kevlar wick in them though as the cotton just burns away once the oil runs out. Small mod though and i should be good to go. Very easy to make and could easily be done with a glass bottle as long as it has a screw on metal lid.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I think your right, that is very efficient indeed!! and after all you would only be using them for a few hours and evening!!
I have been looking for something similar to this for outside lighting when car campng with the wife and kids.
I was thinking of buying some paraffin hurricane lamps.
Have you had any problems with the plastic on the shotgun shell getting hot?
Where did you source the small bottles and kevlar wicks? they are not things you see everyday lol
Cheers
Steve

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
small bottles came from ebay (singapore slow delivery). Kevlar string i already had which also came from ebay (sold as kevlar kite line again from far east). The plastic moves a little on the initial burn but it actually makes the fit better. It gets hot but not hot enough to deform. the base ferrule remains cool and you can pick it up

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Your forum name is definitely wrong - it shouldBarnesWallis! What a great little idea. Does the fuel leak out when notvertical? (By the way, do you have a close-up photo of how you fit the linemarkers to line as I think my magnets are a tad too small).
Regards Alan

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Hi Alan

i would imagine the fuel would leak if it wasnt vertical but it would be probably be internally rather than spilling out the top. Either way i wouldnt carry them with fuel in. At 7ml a fill you could just as easy carry a small squeezy bottle of oil.

Its just for fun really, i have tons of spent ammo so am always looking to see what other uses I can put them too.

ill get a picture up of the line marker whem ive got a mo

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ok so you'll be pleased to hear this is my last lantern offering for a while. I actually went to the garage to make a few pressurised pepsi stoves when i had a brain wave for another lantern. I ended up with this

dfa30874.jpg

then i needed to figure a way to hang it so i cut the base off an unopened can which id drained and flared it to take the lantern part. This is it prior to cutting the main vent window. Looks just like an unopened can (ish)

02dc5a02.jpg

then i added the main window, and reinserted the fuel hole cap

6739317d.jpg

I used kevlar string again to make the wick and the hanging thread. Will change the kevlar hanger for wire if the heat proves too much. I cant burn it yet as im still waiting for the JB weld to go off. but its looking ok

f4b8e5ce.jpg

I hope to fit about 70ml of oil in when full. I bashed the bottom of the stove flat to increase capacity. Will let you know how the burn test goes tomorrow although i have a serious amount of sport to watch with the Tour de France, Grand Prix and Wimbledebob :D

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ok the Pepsi can oil lantern is a fail. Just can't get the level of seal needed with jb wel an once it heats up the oils finds the weaknesses and you end up with an inferno.

Still it's always worth trying.

gan_pi

Tenderfoot
May 21, 2011
Manchester, UK
Hmm, I wonder if it'd be possible to make something that goes on the top of an opened can. Leaving the can without any change (just using it as a fuel reservoir) and the attachment has a wick, some method of suitable seal around the opening, reflector and hanger/handle all in one reusable piece....<dashes to find sketching materials>

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
yes this was my next thought. something similar to the shotgun shell oil lanter but with a windshield. Its easy to keep the can intact and empty it. you just drill it (i used a 1.5mm hand drill). Pretty easy to slide another can on over the top to to act as the wind shield too. I just cant be bothered to do any more lol

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ok in the interests of sience, one more go

drilled and emptied the can at the top without breaking the seal. Added a fule hole. drilled both holes out to 6mm. riv nut in one for the fuel hole and cotton rope wick in the other 6mm hole. Put a foot of wick in to allow for usage over time.

ea478bad.jpg

and lit. Its quite windy today but i reckon you cold do without a

windshield
9c2c6a01.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE