mess tin

SAS_MAN

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2008
highlands
I know this has porbable been posted on here alot but i cant find a post about how to make these famous mess tins out of a tin can and a coat hanger. Can some some please point me in the right direction of post a tutorial.

Thanks.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Do you mean a mess tin or a billy-can. i.e. something to mainly eat out of or something to cook in (and then eat out of ;) )?

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
It's pretty simple, and I apologise if any of this is already obvious to you ...

All you have to do is find a big enough tin, a catering size tin is good.

Open it with an old-style can opener that leaves the rim intact.

Eat the contents, or share them with your family/friends.

Give the tin a wash out.

Punch (e.g. with a nail) or drill a couple of holes on opposite sides of the can about 1 or 2 cm below the rim.

Get a wire coat hanger, and cut it so that you have the long bottom section intact and a about 1 cm of the bend at each end. Then just bend the whole thing to shape so that it forms a handle where the hook-like bits at each end face inwards. Push the hook ends through each of the holes in your can and bend the hooks to form tighter J shape if needed.

That's all you need to do, should take you less than 5 minutes to make once you have your materials.

You can use a pair of pliers to smooth out any ragged edges inside the rim of the can, you can also improvise a lid with a few layers of tinfoil if you like.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Nice link, it's officially the close season for my primary hobby so I can see a few of these ideas getting tried out over the next three months instead:)

cheapeats

Forager
Feb 20, 2008
New England
glad you liked it those three are memebers of a forum that I belong to based in the states and they are a warehouse of knowledge. I suggest reading the with what was in our pockets article.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE