Mentor required

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bowji john

Silver Trader
Spoke with the Fire Arms Officer yesterday

A condition is likely to be attached to my FAC (as it is my first) requiring me to appoint a mentor for .223 on police approved land

Anyone in the North Cornwall area with an 'open licence' for .233 prepared to help?

Cheers

John

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Do you intend to use said rifle for target shooting as well as stalking, and/or vermin control?

Are you a member of an approved target shooting club and have served your probationary period?

bowji john

Silver Trader
Hi silverback 1

Yes and Yes

Probationary period almost done. Rifle(s) to be used for both.

FAC to include 2 x .22 (as my wife also will have her own FAC and we will have all rifles on each others cert) 1 x .223 (target and 'vermin') & 1 x .308 (target only)

Served my time as a game ranger in Zambia and then in HM Forces (Royal Marines)

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Thanks for the info.
Presuming that you also have some appropriate land that has been inspected and approved for .223 cal rifle, i am at a loss as to why your FEO has stipulated that you should need a mentor, as this is not an actual regulation and point of law in the most recent Firearms Act AFAIK, all that is required is that you prove 'Good reason' to possess this firearm, of which target shooting and vermin control is such.

bowji john

Silver Trader
Yeh

We were talking about it at the rifle club this morning

For the last 5 years our area has got a bit tighter - for what ever reason

I was anticipating the need for a mentor for .308 so was going to leave that to just target

Seems they are now concerned with people possibly blasting away with 5.56

I do have land approved for shooting on - 320 acres

To be fair - the fire arms guy just knows I'm an old fart that was in the forces years ago (musket and square riggers).

Perhaps he feels that as some time has passed it is sensible to have me work alongside someone else for a few months.

i have no experience of shooting in the civilian world in the UK so will just grin and bare it

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
You could press your case and involve BASC if you're a member, although if you can find a mentor it may not be worth the trouble.

I had a mentoring condition on my FAC when I applied for a 308 in Devon. I never needed one as I did my DSC1 and at renewal that condition was removed and my cert opened up. It's as if they want someone else to blame if anything happens.

Is there no one at your club who'd help?

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
For the last 5 years our area has got a bit tighter - for what ever reason

Seems they are now concerned with people possibly blasting away with 5.56

I do have land approved for shooting on - 320 acres

The FEO doesn't make the rules, and is probably just a civvie that knows far less about the Firearms Act than you, me and your shooting colleagues.

There is no other reason than political BS and red tape that things have got tighter for legitimate shooters, the statute law hasn't changed.

You have proved 'Good reason' but i can understand your not wishing to rock the boat on your initial grant.

I hope that someone local to you comes along that can be of help, good luck and keep us posted.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
If you do end up having the mentor condition you may as well ask for Deer on the 308 as well as all other lawful quarry on that and the .223.

One advantage of that is it gives a good reason to own more ammunition if they try an put too low a limit on it. (If your wife's FAC is only target shooting then you'll need a safe only you have access to).

If you've not applied for them add a moderator for each and if you don't need them it gives you a free one for one variation.

There's plenty of other things to be aware of but I'm sure your club members will advise. (It's often 'fun' to see other people's certs to see how random conditions can be!)

bowji john

Silver Trader
You took the thought right out of my head re adding deer onto the 308

Was going to add moderator for each

Have installed a rifle cabinet with interior safe for ordinary rounds, but have a separate safe for expanding rounds

Wife not interested in that side of things (hates the idea)

Club has been great.

Only problem is wife out shoots me! Have run out of excuses - if any of you can think of a few let me know :).

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Only problem is wife out shoots me! Have run out of excuses - if any of you can think of a few let me know :).

Don't see this as a problem, keep it that way, don't out shoot her even if you could, it will keep her interested, which will allow you to buy more toys
wink.gif

bowji john

Silver Trader
Problem might have been resolved by

1. Joining British Deer Association
2. Contacting a fella who runs DSC1 courses and provides deer stalking days in East Cornwall
3. Said fella will act as mentor (.223) and provide a 'reason' to open my FAC further to 308 (deer) rather than just .223 (fox)

Result (I hope)

:).

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Problem might have been resolved by

1. Joining British Deer Association
2. Contacting a fella who runs DSC1 courses and provides deer stalking days in East Cornwall
3. Said fella will act as mentor (.223) and provide a 'reason' to open my FAC further to 308 (deer) rather than just .223 (fox)

Result (I hope)

:).

Excellent, no harm in getting DSC 1 under your belt, and you will be in need of the .30 Cal rifle for the larger species of deer anyway
smile.gif

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE