Meet up at the Crannog, 19th & 20th July 2008

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello :D

I've just been talking with Barrie and the suggestion is that if BcUK folks would like to visit this weekend when the Go Native event is on then the campsite at Dalherb or the land next to the Crannog are available for us to use.

This event isn't expected to be incredibly busy, quiet year all round for the toursits, but Patrick M will be there, Eric's said he's coming up, we have fires, cooking, archery, a small log boat being worked on, pole lathes, flint, greenstone, cordages........ and the loch is literally on the doorstep :D
SoTP folks very welcome.

I expect to be up there by Friday afternoon.

cheers,
Toddy

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I may be there, I'll see how I'm fixed. It's a great venue if even for a day visit.
Everyone who can make it should.
And pay for a tour, it's worth it.
;)

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I was hoping to come down for the day on Saturday. Is it worth considering considering camping on the Friday night?:rolleyes:

I also have a couple of things to swap. Some fomes for amadou and a copy of the third edition of Mountaincraft and Leadership. Anyone going who might be interested? Looking for leather awl(s) or will consider anything.:)

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
MMM, tempted, was planning on heading out somewhere next weekend.

Was at the crannog a long time ago, took my neice there when babysitting her one day, seemed ok.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Was that before the new visitor and exhibition centre was built ? Was it still the three portacabins ?

Fred, it would be very good to see you. I'm going to bring the serpentinite up for Eric but I suspect that he'll have a fight on his hands if other folks get to see it. It's beautiful stuff to work.

cheers,
Toddy

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Was that before the new visitor and exhibition centre was built ? Was it still the three portacabins ?

Fred, it would be very good to see you. I'm going to bring the serpentinite up for Eric but I suspect that he'll have a fight on his hands if other folks get to see it. It's beautiful stuff to work.

cheers,
Toddy

I know I might regret this, but do I bring more? What have you been making with it and will you be bringing things with you?:D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
A whorl for a small pump drill, a spindle whorl and some small pendants so far.
I keep eyeing up the big lumps and thinking......nah......that's for Eric...... :D

Wayland fancies some, probably open to barter on the stuff, it's really good.

cheers,
M

Gailainne

Life Member
I'll be popping along, hopefully for the weekend, I agree with Graham, take the tour, its worth it.
Mary if your still looking for fabric for your chute I could bring some up (got it from that fabric place), its a nice green ;) I may be able to sort you out with some "paracord" as well, aint the 550 stuff but its green :rolleyes: and should be suitable, give me a shout.

Regards

Stephen

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland

cheers,
Toddy

I think perhaps the visitor centre was being built at the time, could have been about 5 or so more years ago? I vaguely remmber having to park across the road from it.

Is the Dalherb campsite a proper campsite? i.e. caravans and shower blocks etc? I think Id prefer to kip next to cranog centre if enough room for all and suitable for hammock ?

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
would love to make this :( but sadly i have a scout jamborette to attended, all the best for the event and dont forget plenty of pics

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Sounds too much fun to miss. Had plans for the weekend but the joy of planning solo trips is being able to cancel on yourself without grief.

Picking up the big canoe from Scuba Pete on friday afternoon and might pop up Rannoch Moor in passing for some sand so see you all...
...at some point.

:)
Josh

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
bcuklogs.jpg

That would be this dugout.....

also this on the news today:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/7507564.stm

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Glad to see that realism didn't get in the way. What's that song about high hopes?:lmao:

Aye, there was realism aplenty the moment each of us seen the logs.:)
...but no-one was kidding themselves on. We'd been asked to make a good start at debarking it and that's what we were doing. The most interesting thing I found was how well JohnCs log chisels and mallet worked, lifting the bark off without damaging the wood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE