Medlar jelly

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We finally got round to picking our medlars to make jelly this year. They're well bletted and are currently simmering on the stove prior to being strained. Haven't had any since my mother made some and she died in 2008. It tastes like spiced mincemeat - really is Christmas in a jar...

I am frankly envious. It sounds wonderful.

I don't think I've ever seen a medlar tree up here though, and they're not exactly the kind of fruits one buys in the greengrocers around here either.
Shame.

I do have quince though, the little Japanese one, and they have a wonderful scent and a sour/tangy/sweet taste that I find very appealling at this time of year.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I never had medlar jelly, but have tasted the frruit itself.
With cheese.

Quince - mum used to put a couple of brsnches with the apples still on, and have as table deciration, in our diningroom.
Lovely smell!

Quince jelly is nice too.

If you have the chance now before X-mas, get some Guava jelly, made in Cuba or Central America. Wonderful with cheese. Specially that excellent Davidstow well aged Cheddar!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Medlar tastes a bit like guava, I'm told. Tried nibbling one but it wasn't very nice.
The liquid that has drained through the muslin looks pretty good. Don't know whether it will set now or whether sugar will need to be added.

Will they not grow that far North, Toddy? Ours has really flourished and crops heavily every year although they generally get eaten by the birds

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Lucky you to have medlar. Used to have some near me years ago but I moved and haven't seen them since. I do have some quinces waiting to be made into quinces jelly tho it won't be much as I only have four but they are HUGE.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Talk about coincidence! Was talking about this thread with a friend over a cuppa and she produced a dozen very small medlar from a tree that overhangs her private allotment garden. Not enough to do anything with but I now have some seeds. At least that's what I think they are. Five of them. Anyone know how to grow these on? I know it will take some time to get to fruit, but I'd love to have a medlar in my garden.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Not convinced they will grow well from seed - they're normally grafted onto a different rootstock (quince, possibly) but please do let us know how you get on. Got 3 jars cooling on the windowsill now - still seemed fairly liquid a few minutes ago so hope it will actually set. The stuff I had before was more like curd

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Not convinced they will grow well from seed - they're normally grafted onto a different rootstock (quince, possibly) but please do let us know how you get on. Got 3 jars cooling on the windowsill now - still seemed fairly liquid a few minutes ago so hope it will actually set. The stuff I had before was more like curd
Thanks. I was wondering how they grew and suspected they might be grafted like apples as the ones I used to see years ago look so different from this one my friend showed me. I hope your jelly turns out ok. It can take a while to gel up properly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE