Matches

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We always talk about sparks from firesteels etc....But what about the humble match? Which matches do you prefer and why? Do you even carry them. We've got the thread going where loads of people are getting match safe's, which would imply that a lot of people do carry them. How do you usually carry them and when do you usually use them?

Umm, just a few questions in there :eek:):

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I can tell you which matches not to carry ... those wind/waterproof ones... all fizzle and no flame. OK if you have good quality tinder that will catch sparks but useless otherwise. If I have good quality tinder, why do I need a match?

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

I carry matches! A firesteel lasts longer, but matches are so easy, I think. I carry a very good match called 'Tordenskjold' safety match. It is made in Sweden and think it's made of swedish wood too.
But as with all safety matches, both the match itself and the box has to be protected against moisture... :roll:

So i've made a big matchbox out of a tobacco tin. I'd say there is approximately 400 matches in the box and inside the lid I taped some matchbox sides, to strike them on. :wink: There's different sizes of matches in it and I made most of them waterproof by soaking the top in liquid candlewax.

About the stormproof matches: i don't swear by them either! :wink: Not a descent flame and burns too quickly! :biggthump
If I should carry a lighter it should be a stormproof/blue flame pocket torch, something like that.

My opinion anyway... :wink: :biggthump :wave:

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
I had some Lifeboat Matches once had them for years, never opened them,
When I did they did not work?? maybe they are only supposed to work if you are in a Lifeboat?? :cry:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
bothyman said:
I had some Lifeboat Matches once had them for years, never opened them,
When I did they did not work?? maybe they are only supposed to work if you are in a Lifeboat?? :cry:
Exactly what I though ... they'd probably set fire to the raft alright!

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003

ANDYLASER

Nomad
Mar 27, 2004
SOUTHAMPTON
OK. just opened a sealed tube of those matches, the pack is at least 5 years old. The first match lit perfectly. The second I dipped in water first. It took 6 strikes, the lit and burned perfectly, I dipped it in water and it relit instantly. I would trust these matches if I were outdoors.

Edit, these are Survival Aids ones NOT Octavius Hunt. They are D.T.I. approved.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I've never found the problem to be lighting the actual matches ... they seem robust enough. However, lighting something else from them is much more of an artform ...

Firstly, while being windproof for sure, they don't give off much in the way of a flame, choosing instead to burn more like a sparkler.
Secondly, the flame (if it can be called that) travels along the match really quick so it's not easy to transfer the flame to the tinder.

It might be just me and that I'd rather use a firesteel and cotton wool for most things, but if given the choice between a tub of 25 wind/waterproof matches and 25 Swan Vestas in the same pot, I'd take the Swans any day.

Now, if we have matches like the americans have, that would be cool!

ANDYLASER

Nomad
Mar 27, 2004
SOUTHAMPTON
I admit they do burn fast, but I also carry a blast match and wetfire tinder. Plus being a smoker the trusty Zippo is always to hand. If you cant get a fire going with that lot, then you probably shouldnt be outdoors. :chill:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Ahhh, BlastMatch ... the king of firesteels! I love mine too. WetFire also helps ... lifeboat matches should have no problems with that!

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
the lifeboat/storm matches really come into their own for lighting hexyblocks in crap weather.

for the most part i don't bother with matches :shock: i just use fire steels or a clipper lighter. when i do use matches it's either bryant and may, englands glory or swan vestas, in the obligatory film canister. i sometimes have lifeboat matches kicking around, but they're my "looking at" matches, too posh for everyday use!

cheers, and.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I carry about 50 swan vestas in a1950's pressed steel palmolive shaving soap tube.Its water tight and i have a circle of Alu oxide paper and cotton wool in the lid.If I have tinder I dont need matches.I still carry them but have never used them to light a fire. Thats why they're in my PSK amoungst the other stuff I carry but never use...???

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I carry the american made red head (at least thats what i think there called) matches, american matches are much better but are illegal in the UK

its a bit extreame to go to the states for you matches but if your there bring some back

I also carry some englands glory (made in sweden)

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
bring some of them back from the states ? ahem FAA fine's for hazardus material is pretty high. Just remeber that wenn "importing" them, assuming you travel by air.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Does anyone else here work in a lab or has heard of Parafilm? Its quite amazing stuff that we use for sealing containers at work. Its very very stretchy and sticks to itself really well, I soaked an SAK in oil the other day and wrapped in this stuff and nothing leaked out, I'm pretty sure you could wrap some matches in it, leave em in a bowl of water and they'd never get wet. I'll try and aquire some from work and bring it along.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE