Masuria Lakes, Poland - one day canoeing trip trough Krutynia River (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Puchal

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2010
Poland, Warsaw
Last weekend I spent with my family at the Masuria Lakes (more about the district http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masurian_Lake_District )
Although my lovely wife is brave girl, she is not really enthusiastic about sleeping under the tarp. She can climb the ridges and walk for hours trough hilly areas, but in the evening the clean bed with sheets and shower is required :)
We stayed at the guesthouse in village Krutyn, named after the river that flows near by.
I really do not know what to say about the beauty of Krutynia river trail. Let me quote this short article from e-masuria.com:
[...] All along the Krutynia River, on its both banks, there are deciduous trees that cast their shadows on its smooth water surface. The depth of the Krutynia River on average is 65 cm. The floor of the river is overgrown with waterweed and water lilies. Many species of fish and crayfish live in the river, which proves the purity of the water. That is why the Krutynia is a paradise for fishing and water sports lovers. Boat trips along the Krutynia River are the best way to get to know Masuria. Along the river runs a beautiful alley sheltered in the shade of trees [..]
It is amazing, that there are still places like that in Europe. And believe me, that Krutynia is not the only so picturesque, wild and unregulated rivers in Poland. I could list here Rospuda, Biebrza, Czarna Hańcza, and plenty of others. But this is not the scope of this post, right!
So! We started at the mouth of the river near the Krutyńskie lake and headed downstream to the village Ukta (see map).
Unfortunately this was Saturday, and the river was crowded with kayaks full of tourists. In those circumstances enjoying the beauty of the river was really hard, I have to admit. That is why around 14:00 we paused at the waterside camping, cooked the dinner, and waited over the rush hours. At late afternoon hours, with full stomach and little of laziness in our bones, we embarked canoe, and headed to Ukta. Then I realized how wise decision about pausing for those two hours was. River was only for us. Very few kayaks followed us. Wild life emerged from the hideouts, and sunset added deeper colours to the lovely landscapes.
It is hard to express all the beautiful views and scenes, not being a native speaker here. You just have to see this yourselves.
BTW: we were once overtaken by two canoes with few of Brits on board. Friend yours? :D

1213957513.jpg

DSC03192.JPG

DSC03224.JPG

DSC03248.JPG

DSC03260.JPG

DSC03278.JPG

DSC03290.JPG

DSC03321.JPG

DSC03331.JPG

DSC03318.JPG

Last edited:

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
Very nice :) I'm glad you have similar places to us over the border :)
This summer I went on a canoe trip along the Luznice here in CZ, the river and it's banks look very similar to your photos.
Happy paddling! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE